Refinishing mahogany veneer

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

lagakos

Refinishing mahogany veneer

Post by lagakos »

I'd appreciate some advice on sanding, staining, and varnishing the foredeck of my Thompson 17 lapstrake. The foredeck appears to be made of mahogany-covered marine plywood. Unlike other mahogany on the boat (which I have refinished), the mahogany veneer on the foredeck is quite thin. Do I use the same procedures for sanding, staining, and varnishing it as I do with solid mahogany? Are the same stain (Z-spar filler stain; red mahogany) and varnish (Z-spar Captain’s varnish) recommended for veneer?
Thanks for any advice you can provide.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Plywood was used for many items on boats built by Thompson including the decking. Depending on the year of the boat, the gunwale covering boards may be plywood.

Yes, use the same methods to strip and refinish the plywood as the solid wood. Be very CAREFUL as the top veneer is very thin. Seal, stain, and varnish the same way too.

Andreas
lagakos

Post by lagakos »

Dear Andreas,
Thanks!

Did Thompson use the same stain (red mahogany) for the decking as they did for the transom and side stripe? On some pictures I've seen of Thompsons, the stain seems to be somewhat lighter on the foredeck.
Thanks again,
Steve
a j r

Post by a j r »

Same stain everywhere.
lagakos

Post by lagakos »

Dear Andreas
My Thompson Sea Lancer has a small leak, most probably in the outer keel. At dock, she will take in about a gallon per day.
Do you recommend that I haul her out now and try to seal the leak, which might mean flipping the boat, or would it be safe to wait until Labor day?
Other than this the boat is in great shape.
Thanks
Steve
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi,

I personally would not let a boat of mine leak a gallon a day. I would find the problem and properly correct it.

An electric bilge pump with automatic float switch might be a good idea, if you do not have one already.

Andreas
lagakos

Post by lagakos »

Thanks for the advice Andreas. I do have a bilge pump and it may be closer to a quart, but there is still a leak, probably along the outer keel. I may try to temporarily fix it for now rather than missing most of the summer on the water.
Thanks again,
Steve