Emblem Parallelogram

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JRPfeff

Emblem Parallelogram

Post by JRPfeff »

I think these questions were asked in the archives, but don't recall the answers.

On what year did Thompson - Peshtigo start putting the blue parallelogram beneath their metal emblems? It is not clear from the 1959 catalog photo of the Sea-Coaster whether the blue box is under the emblem. It is definitely there in the 1961 catalog.

What are the dimensions and location of the parallelogram?

What color and type/brand of paint should be used?

Thanks,

Jim
Darrell Van Eck

Emblem Parallelogram

Post by Darrell Van Eck »

Jim:

Sorry I can help you with the year, my 63 coaster has it. I can get the measurments for you though, I am in the middle of re-finishing my coaster now and took pictures & measurments. I will try to get back to you tommorow with that info.

I can not help with the color, I was going to ask for some help with that today myself and found your post, if you find out please let me know.

Thanks

Darrell
Darrell Van Eck
a j r

Post by a j r »

1959 was the first year's model boats that the blue background was utilized on Thompson Boats behind the chromed hullside logos. It is very clearly shown on all the models in the 1959 Peshtigo catalog, with the exception of the Lap-Chine model. It's actually shown on some of the Cortland made boats in their '59 catalog. But I don't thnk Cortland did indeed paint the blue on tee boats after the split from Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. which was effective 01 Jan. 1959.

There was lots of discussion about the size and colours in the old forum. Can't recall if any answers were ever posted however. I cannot help as I don't have a boat with the blue on it.

Andreas
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

I just found that the link to the old Dockside Views is still active. Unfortunately, the search function doesn't work. I'll dig through the old postings to try to find the answer.

Jim
Ron P

Blue paint color for Thompson logo.

Post by Ron P »

I just pulled out my Pantone Matching System color book and matched the color on my boat.. The number that is the closest is... Pantone 306 ! That color is one shade lighter than straight Process Blue. Any good paint store will have this book...I am a printer that mixes ink everyday....
Ron P
Rodney Syverson

Parallelogram

Post by Rodney Syverson »

I asked the question of dimensions and angles of the parallelogram some time between October 10th and Dec 15th. It was posted in the archives for awhile and I can't find it back but Andreas responded that the angles were 60 and 120 degrees with the length I believe around 15 1/4", and height if I remember correctly 3 1/4". These dimensions I am not sure apply to all models as in the brochures I have, it shows the height of the parallelogram on the 62 Sea Lancer the full width of the strake which is more like 4 1/2". I matched the blue on the color brochures as close as I could with a Sikkens color map system and the original owner took one look at it and said it was the wrong color. He said the blue was used on the white boats but the yellow Sea Lancers used an aqua green. Made perfect sense to me as blue and yellow kind of clash.
Would be interested in any input on dimensions for a 62 Sea Lancer. :wink: Rod Syverson
Ron P

Post by Ron P »

Hey Guys
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/waddlep2000/my_photos
Posted some picks here of some logos. Tell me what you think!!!

I to have seen some teal/aqua looking logos .THe boats were in the 61 and 62 years....

If you paint blue over a yellow hull you will get that teal/aqua effect...

The boatI have is a 1965 model And it was a sticker!!!!

My Fathers 1963 Super Sea Lancer was painted on. (Original) Maybe I can find some old pictures of that boat. I will get back to ya. :P Ron P
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

Rodney,

I found your post and Andreas' reply in the archives. He said:
Rod, here's is what someone sent me once regarding the blue trapazoid shape: 60 and 120 degree angles; 15 10/16" long; 3 3/16" tall; with the chromed "Thompson" logo centered in this shape. Andreas
Jim
Rodney Syverson

Post by Rodney Syverson »

JRPfeff wrote:Rodney,

I found your post and Andreas' reply in the archives. He said:
Rod, here's is what someone sent me once regarding the blue trapazoid shape: 60 and 120 degree angles; 15 10/16" long; 3 3/16" tall; with the chromed "Thompson" logo centered in this shape. Andreas
Jim
Thanks Jim; I knew it was something like that. Rod S :)
JRPfeff

Re: Blue paint color for Thompson logo.

Post by JRPfeff »

Ron P wrote:I just pulled out my Pantone Matching System color book and matched the color on my boat.. The number that is the closest is... Pantone 306 ! That color is one shade lighter than straight Process Blue. Any good paint store will have this book...I am a printer that mixes ink everyday....
Ron P
I placed an order with George Kirby, Jr. Paint Co. for a quart of paint for my emblem parallelogram. Based on Ron’s color match, they will mix a match for Pantone 306. I’ll post some photos of the color after application.

When ordering, ask for “Thompson Blue” they’ll know what you mean. The cost is $18.66/quart plus shipping.

This is very good paint, Andreas recommends it.

George Kirby, Jr. Paint Company
163 Mt. Vernon Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
(508) 997-9008

Cool baseball caps, too.

JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

This is the color you will get if you order "Thompson Blue" from George Kirby paint. How does in compare to the original color?

Does anyone have something to use to fill in the red in the Thompson seagull? Or should I just leave it alone?

Jim
a j r

Post by a j r »

For the RED in the bird, I have used Rust-Oleum "Sunrise Red" in gloss. You can get this at any hardware stre.

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I used Gloss Sunrise red also.. it stuck good and I think it looks good also.. Jim, did the color of your Rhomus come out on the post as it looks in real life?... I need to paint mine also, although I never did find any evidence of it being on my 1960 Seacoaster. Seems like the other ones I have seen are a little more blue... I am interested if you get any comments, as I would like to paint mine early in the summer.... Did you mask yours and spray or use a brush..?

By the way, what is the process to post a pic like you did in your note?
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

John Hart wrote:I used Gloss Sunrise red also.. it stuck good and I think it looks good also.. Jim, did the color of your Rhomus come out on the post as it looks in real life?... I need to paint mine also, although I never did find any evidence of it being on my 1960 Seacoaster. Seems like the other ones I have seen are a little more blue... I am interested if you get any comments, as I would like to paint mine early in the summer.... Did you mask yours and spray or use a brush..?

By the way, what is the process to post a pic like you did in your note?
John,

I haven't held up a sample against my PC screen, but I think the photo does wash out the color a bit. PM me your address and I can mail you a sample of the color. I'm also willing to share my paint - a quart is more than I will ever need.

I masked off the area with tape, using Pythagorus to determine my angles, and brushed the paint. It may be a bit smaller than the dimensions posted above, but the size looked right when I eyeballed it. I didn't find evidence of blue on my boat when stripping the original paint, either.

There is thread here on posting photos. Let me know if that doesn't answer your question.

Jim
Ron P

Blue logo background.

Post by Ron P »

I Think this blue that you had mixed is pretty darn close.Thanks for stepping up to the plate and getting it worked out.
Check out these other logo's too.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/waddlep20 ... /my_photos
Ron Pistohl
64 Cruisers Inc. 17 ft,W/64Johnson 90hp

65 Thompson 15 ft.W/65 Evinrude 40hp
Appleton,Wisconsin
Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/