transom caulking

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Bruce

transom caulking

Post by Bruce »

There are some small gaps between boards near top of transom with old caulking. What is best material to re-caulk these seams to keep out water.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Mahogany 5200 is what I use most of the time. 5200 is very sticky and flexable so it always retains some flex. Allow to set up before varnishing over.
Some gaps can be sealed with epoxy mixed with a filler to a peanut butter cosistancy with a little stain mixed in to match transom color and density. Then varnish over repaired areas. 5200 is very sticky and flexable. Allow to set up before varnishing over.

Make sure you have cleaned and dryed out area to be sealed.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Bruce... you may also want to investigate 3M 4200.. It is described as half the strength as 5200, "to allow for disassembly of the parts" if necessary. I have heard that 5200 is used when you really want to bond something for good.

The drawback is 4200 is either white or black... I used it, and it is very sticky... in fact, firm but tacky after several weeks on my bench (a little string of it...but it really stuck the popsicle stick to the tray I used)... You may want to go to a farm store and get a package of syringes for a couple bucks... this will allow you to inject it where you wish... if you get tired of that, you can force it in with a putty knife, and wipe off the transom with denatured alcohol on a soft cloth..

Good luck.