Filling irregular strakes

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Arnie Brulhardt

Filling irregular strakes

Post by Arnie Brulhardt »

Hello:

Next year I was thinking of repainting the white hull on my 1963 SeaCoaster. I repainted about 6 years ago, but this time I want to try something different. I noticed from the years a little wood chipping off that the edges of some of the strakes, especially right by the water line. I usually sand and touch them up. What I want to do is sand them down and apply a filler-putty to the edges to recreate them and make them sharper the way they used to be. Is there any specific filler that would work the best for this, I'm looking for something pretty smooth when applied.

Thanks for the help. Arnie
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Arnie,

You should be able to find a marine type filler at West Marine that will do what you are looking for. The one I am thinking of is like "Bondo' but made for marine use. What ever you use will need some finish sanding before priming and finish painting. I have used it on my fiberglass sailboat for some repairs and it works well. It is made for use on fiberglass and wood.

Main thing is that the area your are filling needs to be totally dry and free of dust, etc. A courser sand papaer should be used to get a rough enough surface for a good bite which will give you tight bond.

Good Luck,

Phill
Arnie Brulhardt

Post by Arnie Brulhardt »

Thanks Phil, I'll take a look and give it a try.

Arnie
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Not sure if Smith & Co. Fill-It would be the correct application here. Maybe an epoxy with filler??

Andreas