phenolic overlay

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dreamer

phenolic overlay

Post by Dreamer »

While reading the documents produced by Thompson about their boats they refer to the planking as having a phenolic overlay for durability. My understanding is they are referring to a paper that is on the outer layer of the plywood that was used. Am I understanding that correctly? I understand it as a paper that is coated, or soaked in a phenolic resin, and that resin would be some type of epoxy.
Larry B
The difference between a professional and an amateur is the Professional knows how to cover his mistakes, the amateur gets another board.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Yes, this is the paper overlay on the plywood planking. Today it's called MDO for medium density overlay.

It made a very smooth surface for painting and minimized checking of teh wood, thus the finish.

Thompson Bros. Boat at Peshtigo started using this about 1963. T & T Boats and Cruisers, Inc. both used it as well. T & T used "Crezone" brand. Not sure what brand was used by the others.

Don't sand thru it when stipping the old finishes off the hull. You'll regret it.

Andreas