Respirators, Whats good, whats better?

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dan Wolf

Respirators, Whats good, whats better?

Post by Dan Wolf »

OK, Last year I'm varnishing the boat in the garage and I get Varnish Drunk. I'm loopin for about a week. This year I have to get inside the bow to varnish the inside of the boat and I don't want to go through the loopiness a second time. I want to wear a respirator but am unsure what is good against varnish fumes. I see what home depot has but I don't think they work against varnish fumes. I'm looking to invest in a full face respirator or at least a half face. Anyone use anything with sucess? What was the filter rating?...Dan Wolf
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Dan,
You can also go to a local auto paint dealer or if you have a Grainger store in your area they can also help you. Grainger has a wide assortment of respirators available to chose from by different manufacturers.

Good Luck,

Phill
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Thanks Phil and Vern I'll try both these avenues...Dan
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Dan, Phill's recommendation is sound because you might be able to find a good one at less cost. But I just wanted to tell you that the MSA was not a random pick I made. I've used their units for many years for paints and other nasty VOCs. They are top quality and will last you decades (as opposed to a throw-away). With MSA you can buy one face unit then different filter cartridges for various vapors or particulates.
Good luck and be safe! :D
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

I've heard that these are good for a 8 hour period and then I'd need a replacement. Would you agree? Money is not a subject when it comes to my well being. I just want to have the right PPE (personal protective Equipment) and know whats it's limitations are. I wanna boat till I'm dead!!
Hey is it illeagal to burn a body in a Thompson? Oh never mind, A Thompson is a terrible thing to waste!
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Dan, I"m not an expert on that issue. I'd just follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
Verne :)