Wood Sealer

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JALL

Wood Sealer

Post by JALL »

Is there a wood sealer I can get at ACE or HOME DEPOT? Something to use on top of stain before varnish. THANKS
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Marine Varnish
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

thinned marine varnish.

I also have used a sealer whos name I cannot recall.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

JALL,

I agree with Dan and Andreas,

I use Marine varnish which I have thined buy about 20% with thinner. It is very thin and will seal the stain and wood grain. I generally use this for two or three coats then go to a varnish which is only thined with about 10% thinner for a couple coats. Then I finish with a few coats of straight varnish or one that is thined by 5%. The thinner in the varnish extends the dry time and gives the varnish more time to smooth out for a smoother finish.
I do sand with 220 paper or a Scotch bright pad between coats to knock off the high spots and add tooth for the next coat. Sand very lightly onthe first couple coats over your stain so you do not sand into or through the stain.

Good luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Old Salem Sealer is the name of the stuff I could not recall. A product of Pettit.

Andreas
JALL

Post by JALL »

LancerBoy, is the Pettit Old Salem Sealer better than using a thinned varnish? Or do you go to thinned varnish after the sealer? That is actually why I'm asking. I see some people use a "sealer" after stain and some say they go to the thinned varnish. THANKS
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I typically have used the Old Salem Sealer after the stain. Then thinned coats of varnish. I bet I thin my first coat of varnish 50% and subsequent coats get thinned less and less.

Andreas