Which primer to use over CPES under bottom paint

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

richnle

Which primer to use over CPES under bottom paint

Post by richnle »

Last winter I applied Interlux bottom paint directly over wood treated with CPES. The bottom paint started peeling after the first use and the folks at Interlux recommended that I go back down to bare wood and use Interprotect 2 part epoxy primer under the bottom paint this time. Has anyone used this or any other primer under the bottom paint over CPES treated wood, and do you have any recommendations on how to make the paint last better this time? Thanks!

Rich
richnle

Post by richnle »

Also, I have been considering using a topside paint on the bottom since the boat is trailered and rarely is in the water more than a couple of days at a time. Petit Easypoxy has a color I would like, but does not recommend immersion for more that 2 days. Does anyone have any experience immersing Easypoxy for more than 2-3 days? Would I still be best off with Interprotect primer if I do use Easypoxy? Thanks!

Rich
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I have had Interlux Briteside on the bottom of my '59 Sea Lancer for the last few years and seems to be doing fine. Mine is used like yours, only in the water a couple days at a time at most. I don't have CPES on mine, so I can't help with those questions. The trailer is hard on the paint, but I guess it would be like that for any paint. I hope that helps .
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

You may have to scuff or rough up the surface to get any paint to stick to the CPES. Remember that even though it is thin and soaks in it is still epoxy. I know that Smith's recommends that when apply paint you should put the first coat of paint on before the CPES is fully cured for maximum bonding.
Just my two cents.
Keep us posted.
Karl.
richnle

Post by richnle »

Thanks both of you for your help. I will definitely sand with course sandpaper before applying the epoxy primer this time. This primer is designed to stick well to gelcoat, so I think it should also adhere well to sanded CPES treated wood. I'm working on stripping the bottom paint that I put on just before the season (bummer). It is amazing how in spots simple water immersion took the paint off to bare wood from use but to get all the paint off it is taking 3 coats of Citristrip, scraping and sanding. Not my idea of a great time, and I hope to not have to do this again for many years!
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I used several coats of CPES on the bottom of my '60 Seacoaster... then a light one 24 hrs before applying an epoxy barrier coat... also called moisture diffusion barrier primer, or high build epoxy paint. This was from Smith and Co.

I got four quarts.... two quarts were the hardener and one quart grey and one quart white. I was able to squeeze out four coats on the bottom on the planks between and including the one with the spray rails. I did gray/white/gray/ white so I could see where I was going.

This primer seems to be totally compatible with CPES.... then I did three coats of Kirby semi-gloss white (two would have been fine, but I had some drips I wanted to get rid of) ..