Glasspar fiberglass boats

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

a j r

Glasspar fiberglass boats

Post by a j r »

Does anyone know anything about the Glasspar CLUB LIDO fiberglass boats? I am looking at one.

I have looked at the Glasspar brochures, etc... at www.fiberglassics.com and also at the classic Glasspar website.

Just looking for general information and opinions. Is this thing worth anything or is it fairly rare or just another common, everyday fiberglass boat?

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Checking Peter Hunn's book "Tail Fins and Two Tones" found two mentions of the Glaspar "Lido" ( not Club Lido ?) . Both instances refer to the boat as a 1960 "entry level" and "budget friendly" 14 footer. The color pic ( page 153) shows a pretty plain boat, does have windshield but maybe not upholstered seats ( hard to tell fron the pic)
ps... shock ! AJR looking at a plastic boat, my , my what's the world coming too.
I have to admit that I have a pretty nicely restored 1960 Lone Star Malibu...ya' ya a "tin" boat ( I'll try to post a pic)
Joe
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

There is nothing wrong with plastic boats, I just figured they would last longer than mine did. My wood boat has less problems than the plastic one. P.S. Can anyone tell me why a couple of my posts have been deleted lately?
a j r

Post by a j r »

Get me straight here - there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with fiberglass and aluminum boats. They are as much a part of the antique and classic boating hobby as wooden boats. And they and their owners should be treated with the same respect afforded to wooden boats and their owners.

They are welcome here and especially to participate in the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally (next Rally is 8-10 August 2008).

I currently own TWO classic fiberglass boats, both by Thompson of Peshtigo. I am trying to sell the 1969 Thompson Tri-Gull 17'-6" outboard with 95 HP Mercury and Highlander trailer.

Oh and thanks for the tip on Peter Hunn's book. I had looked at this already of course along with Daniel Spurr's book Heart of Glass."

And Shaun, I have no idea why your posts have been deleated or who did it. It was not me.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

FYI... my other boat, A restored 1960 Lone Star Malibu. ANd yes the garish color scheme and upholstry are as original.

Joe B

a j r

Post by a j r »

She's a beauty!

Andreas
john

Post by john »

Very Nice!!!!!!!!!
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

sweet - the color scheme is awesome - all it needs is a Merc :wink:
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Thanks guys for the kind comments... much appreciated. Every time we use the boat we draw attention. I'm espically proud of the upholstry. The late Jim Hickman from Anderson IN had a similiar Lone Star with authenticlly restored upholstry. Jim and I met thru the Antique Outboard Club (AOMCI). He hooked me up with the "ole time" trim shop in Anderson that did his boat.
Maxwell Bros. trim shop did an outstanding job of matching the original pattern. They even hand made the silver piping that trims the panels. Just finding the vinyl in matching texture and pattern was a challange. We had the the white ribb and black "basket weave" patterns custom duplicated.
All the other work, including motor restoration was done by me.
The boat has been at several AOMCI meets, I plan to take it to the national meet at Tomahawk WI this summer(Aug 1-4). Come on out... I'll give you a ride.
thanks again
Joe B
ps. I still have the tattered remnants of the original seats that I would like to give to a responsible party for the sake of historical reference. I posted this request on the "Lone Star Boat Club" Yahoo discussion board with no response. Anyone know of a worthy reciprent for these old seats?
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Joe
What a nice boat, great job. I love that bow light and that Evinrude. What size engine is that and what length is hull? What is top speed?
Great Job
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Dan, thanks ,,,
Well, here's the story... the bow light, which was on the boat when I bought it is apparently a rare item. I've not seen another like it nor have I found anyone who can identify it. It looks real cool... kind of like an F86 Saber Jet, really fits the era/ boat. The only reference I've found is a mis-identified picture on page 169 of Peter Hunn's book "Tail Fins and Two-Tones". In the book the bow light is mis-identified as a cleat. I would appreciate any info that anyone might have on this light.
As for the other ?'s ... The boat is a 14 ft. Lone Star Malibu, the engine a 35 hp 1957 Evinrude Lark, electric start ... she does about 30 MPH.
Joe
a j r

Post by a j r »

I cannot see the bow light very well, but it looks just like the one used on the 1960 and 1961 Thompson Bros. Thomboy lapstrake boat. I have seen one in person.

I recall also seeing an advertisement for that particular bow light in some old marine magazine.

Andreas