What was the desired way to stowe a Thompson Canopy

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

What was the desired way to stowe a Thompson Canopy

Post by John Hart »

I have seen several ways that folks store their convertible tops (bimini)...

I have a nice top in great condition, although the aluminum poles need to be massaged into shape, and maybe reinforced with some hardwood dowels. I hate to have it folded flat on the deck between the steering wheel and the windshield, because that finished area is such an attractive part of the boat...

On the other hand, I have had it flipped aft, but then it is an obstruction to getting to the motor, plus it isn't very well supported.

My frame does slide in a track on the gunwhale, so I thought I might try sliding to the forward limit and resting the collapsed top on top of the windshield, leaving it snapped at the front.

So far, any time I have taken it out, I have left the top at home. Since it is in such good shape, I would like to take advantage of the feature and have it ready to go.

I have seen tops stowed several of the ways described above in pictures.... does anyone know the way it was intended by the designers?

Thanks.

John.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Jon, I've had the same question, though I don't have a top yet. I plan to put one together. My plan was to have it fold to rest on the top of the windshield for the reasons you note. I've got the additional issue of having the dodger rails, which I suspect will be in the way of any installation - no clue what to do. I briefly searched my Thompson Catalog CD, but didn't see one.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

On my user boat, a 1957 Thompson (Peshtigo) Sea Lancer, I have a convertible top. It's always there ready to go. The canvas is rolled up around the metal frame and it rests on the deck, between the windshield frame and dashboard. Sure, it covers some of the nice wood of the deck, but that's where it has been and where it shall remain.

I use my boat in all types of weather, so the top is a nice thing to have at the ready.

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Andreas - could you post a pic of your top? A homerun would be to see it stowed, and deployed - at your convenience of course :-) - thanks!
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

Peter, check your email for the pics. I have NO clue how to post pics here.

Andreas
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

Got the pics - great shots! What's on your boat now? The merc or the Twin Johnsons? (looked liek twins). I too have never been able to figure out how to post pics -

Anyone?
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

She has the twin Johnsons on her transom, 35 HP each from 1957.

Andreas