Boat Stands - placed OK?

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Boat Stands - placed OK?

Post by thegammas »

So i am putting my sea lancer up on stands to service the trailer. Going to be putting a lot of miles on it this season (hopefully). I need to extend the bunks past the transom, etc. But I am totally paranoid of hooking the bottom, especially on the front stands (plus, at some point I'll be under it while on those stands).

If anyone has a moment. please go to http://home.comcast.net/~gammasjunk/wsb/index.html
and look at the high light photos -tell me what you think. Is the boat supported well? In these photos, it's actually floating above the trailer.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Your rear stands look great, I would get a support under the keel as soon as you pull trailer. I supported my 20' hull without engine with two supports under the transom like you have and only one support under keel at bow. I lowered the trailer tounge all the way and set supports at transom, then raised trailer tounge until the trailer rear tilted away from the transom.
I used a comealong to lift the bow until it raised off trailer, I then pulled trailer out from under boat.
I left comealong attached as a safety line but weight was carried on keel.
I would set a support under keel to cary weight and use your front supports to balance and stabalize.
Nice work, what you have got going should be fine.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Thanks Dan - I like that approach to get the boat off the trainer - I've been struggling with how to get it off . I actually have a come along I can use. I was planning to do just what you say, I'll have a jack stand under the keel at about where the stem cap and keel cap meet, side stands stabilize.

You cant see it in the lousy pictures, but I set up the front stands so that I can place a scissors jack under the post and raise the boat with those stands. Not sure I'll ever need that feature, but...
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

Also, Where did you attach the comealong to the bow? On the deck cleat, the eye hook on the stem?
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
JSC

Post by JSC »

Hey Peter -
When I lifted my Offshore off the trailer, I used one of those nylon towing straps (the one that says "Not for lifting" on the package). I attached one end to an eyebolt screwed into a pretty herfy joist and attached the other end to a comealong, which was attached to another eyebolt. It gave me plenty of lift and was very stable. I supported the bow with one of those metal saw horses, left the towing strap on forward of midship, wedged a couple of 4x4's under the bottom at midship and laid a beam (two 2x4's on edge attached to a flat 2x6) laid across two metal sawhorses at the very edge of the stern. Your system looks professional!
JSC
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

thanks for the compliment - I tend to over engineer things - like these stands - your approach probably took a fraction of the time and is/was just as effective. But they were fun to build.
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Peter
Cruisers Incs have a front deck cleat that is a lifting ring that has a long shaft that bolts to the Keel.
You might be able to run a stap through the eye ring on front of boat.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
a j r

Post by a j r »

If the boat has a true lifting ring, one that is attached to the keelson/stem by a rod, sure, go ahead and use it for a lifting point. That's why it's there. I do it all the time. However, if it's just a cleat screwed or bolted to the deck framing, do NOT use it for hoisting. You'll rip er right out of the deck.

Andreas
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

No lifting ring/rod here. Just the deck cleat. I was thinking I would run a strap around the hull, at about where the deck cleat is, hook a chain to that, lift y the chain - in in effect, lifting from the bottom and sides.

Or maybe I'll over engineer some other solution and get back to you in three months when it's done.
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware