Marine Radios

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

Marine Radios

Post by John Hart »

Do any of you guys carry a Marine radio or other communication unit when you are in your boats?

I usually am on small inland lakes, pretty close to a shoreline when I am out.... but given that all our boats have a lot of 45 year old wood, I am always concerned about getting the right help when we need it.

On small lakes, there is usually someone who knows we are out, and has access to another boat.... When I was on Green Bay, we had a bunch of us on the water together.

However, if I decide to take a short trip along the Mississippi, or go on a bigger lake where I don't know anyone, I am not sure whether a Marine radio is a good idea or not... I usually have a cellphone, and have several 5 watt CB walkie talkies I could bring along.

Is there any device/frequency range that is more monitored than others..... that a person could hale for help if a motor konks out, or the boat takes on significant water....? and there isn't anyone else around for visual flagdown...

You can tell it is winter... I am thinking of all kinds of things, while my boat is in a barn.....

John Hart.
a j r

Post by a j r »

I keep a hand held marine radio on my user boat at all times. I also can take it with me if I use another boat. Channel 16 is the emergency channel the Coast Guard and Water Patrol monitor. It's a great tool and has the advantage of picking up the National Weather Service channel at all times to keep tabs on weather.

You can also communicate with other boaters to ask about conditions, good restaurants to visit, etc... and to locate your buddies. I never had a cell phone until the middle of last summer and I used the marine radio all the time to get together with friend's boats. Now I use the cell phone for that.

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Oh good !! justification for another piece of equipment.....

I have passed up a lot of good deals for handhelds in the West Marine, Overtons, etc. sale fliers over the past several years.... I wasn't sure how much trouble the licensing was, or whether a Marine radio or other radio (like hunting) was the way to go.

This sounds like just what I need to feel connected when I venture out a little more this summer. It is good to know that there is a good possiblility that I would be able to get in touch with someone, in the event of an emergency.

Although I have a lot of confidence in my boat, I suspect the last ten guys that ended up in the drink would have said the same thing the day before their ordeal also.

Thanks.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Licensing??? I was not aware that one had to license a marine radio. I never have.

I got my Hummingbird brand one at Fleet Farm. I bet Cabela's has 'em too.

Andreas
Tim Bromund

Post by Tim Bromund »

Nope, no license needed for a VHF Marine Radio. The Coast Guard required one at one time, but that went away a number of years ago. Apparently no one was complying with the requirement anyways, so they decided there was no point in having the reg.

I'm usually out on Lake Ontario and am frequently miles offshore. A radio is as vital a piece of boating equipment as an engine IMO.

Tim
1986 Thompson 8652 Offshore Hardtop.

Salad is what FOOD Eats!!!