Restore or Refurbish???

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Restore vs. Refit

Restore
75%
Refit
25%

Total votes: 4

mengelmar

Restore or Refurbish???

Post by mengelmar »

A recent thread in the restoration section got me to thinking about the differences in how we each approach a boat repair. I tend to be of the refit or refurbish school of repair and I enjoy giving my projects an individualistic and hopefully creative flair. I am also not against using modern materials and techniques where their use is appropriate in terms of their advantages and limitations.

I'd love to hear other's thoughts on the subject assuming we can all keep an open mind and respect each everyone's approach.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Restore back to originality, at least in appearance.

Using modern materials and methods and keeping SAFETY in mind is OK.

I also like to see age appropriate outboard motors, not modern ones on the transoms of these old beauties.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

I agree with Andreas. I like to see boats restored to as close to original as possible. Using the old or new techniques and if I have to new materials to get it to look like it did orignially is my goal with a restoration. Finding old hardware items and restoring them to use or find old orignal or new accessories that are from or look like they are from the period of the boats era. The original look is what I am looking for, not modifying it to look like something it was not.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I have had several boats with custom additions made at one time or another. When I began messing with these wonderful boats I wasn't too worried about returning boats to original look as much as making them useable.
My latest project has been a ground up restoration and I am returning it to an original look but have chosen some of the lesser used factory colors and materials. I have chosen a sand tan hull paint and a beige vinyl, these were available but seldom used. Not all hulls were white. This Seacamper is really turning out nice with a distinctive look.
I too am a believer in period correct engines, I am going to extremes to get my 90hp Johnson working and matching factory paint.
I started to delete or change some of the factory chrome pieces but decieded that if I were restoring a 57 T-Bird i would not change any factory chrome, so I am rechroming and leaving trim as was originally installed.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas