The Kalmar Nyckel (as seen from a Sea Lancer)

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

The Kalmar Nyckel (as seen from a Sea Lancer)

Post by thegammas »

Last weekend when I was out the prop on my Merc 1000 spun off the hub. Apparently the hub was just too old and deteriorated to handle the power. I was able to rig up a prop for this weekend hoping to get out one last time before calling it a season. An added treat was that the Kalmar Nyckel was at it's home port. She's a replica of the ship Swedish settlers arrived in some 300+ years ago and founded Wilmington Delaware. Here's a few shots of her from the decks of my somewhat smaller wooden boat (and a gratuitous shot of mine of course). Note the guys in the rigging.

Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hey Peter. That's GREAT. I have a connection to the Kalmar Nyckel!! NO, I am NOT Swedish. Uff Da - I am 100% Norwegian.

My employer at Peshtigo, Wisconsin made glued laminated timber framing members for the ship.

And if ya wanna do the Kevin Bacon six degrees of separation thing...Sentinel Structures, Inc. was originally called Unit Structures, Inc. Unit was formed in 1934 as the first manufacturer of glued laminated timber in North America. Fifty percent of the stock was held by Peter, Christ, and Ted Thompson of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. Unit's production from 1934 until 1940 was conducted in the Thompson Boat factory at Peshtigo, WI. Unit built its own factory in 1940 right next door to Thompson Boat.

My father started work at Unit in 1951. His first assignment was heading up the marine laminating operation which was making ribs and keels and other parts for US Navy wooden minesweepers. He quickly became chief engineer than Vice President-Chief Engineer. From 1951 until circa 1962 his paycheck was signed by Ray Thompson! The firm closed in 1971 and father got it back in 1972 and started Sentinel Structures, Inc.

Making glued laminated members for new wooden ship construction and resortation of historic ships is still an important part of the business today.

Andreas
a j r

Post by a j r »

Here is a picture of glued laminated white oak frames/ribs being shipped from Unit Structures at Peshtigo to the ship builder at Manitowoc, WI. This is in 1952 and the ship under construction was the USS Valor, an AMS class 165-foot long minesweeper.

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

That's so cool. It never ceases to amaze me how people and places are tied together. I've been aboard the Kalmar but never when she was underway. I had a chance to crew on her once, but my work and home schedule (My two kids were toddlers at the time) was tough and I couldn't fit it in. I suppose I should check into it again now that my schedule is more flexible.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware