Cortland Thompson factory picture

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

Cortland Thompson factory picture

Post by LancerBoy »

Here is a picture from the Cortland, NY factory of Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. sometime after January 1959.

Andreas
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Andreas,

These pictures are fantastic! I really enjoyed the old photographs of the Thompson factories here and in your previous posts. Owning a Cortland built boat, I was pleased that you posted the latest!

Were did you get these photos? They are great.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Hi,

The Cortland photos came from Ted Thompson, Jr. When I visited him last Spring I brought my laptop and scanner! I scanned a number of items. I am certain that if I had not brought the scanner, I never would have been able to get these items. I doubht he would have loaned them to me to take home and scan later.

The Peshtigo photos came from Pete Thompson.

Being from the Peshtigo area, my father being associated in some of the Thomspon businesses, and having earned the trust of the Thompson clan has enabled me to gain access to items such as these.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

AJR, very interisting pics, I't great that you were able to save and share this history. A peculair thing on the Cortland hull, it appears that unlike the Peshtigo boats, the bent oak ribs ( frames) do not continue up into the bow area, looks like a few sawn frames up there. It this typical of a Cortland hull?

Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Ya Joe, I noticed that too. I just do not know. Maybe Peter Stransky can tell us if his Cortland Sea Lancer is framed this way. I assume that with the bulkhead, this is one pictured of the cabin cruiser models.

Andreas
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

My Cortand built Sea Coaster model does have the frames all the way up into the bow area. Maybe this was a detail on the larger boats.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Yes - mine has the double steam bent frames up to the gripe, where they switched over to single steam bent forward. I thought perhaps those sawn frames were part of the forming process, and that steam bent singles would be added afterwards.

(by double, I mean that the frames run from the gunwales under the first sister, under the keelson, and on to the second sister where it ends).
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware