Naming your boat

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

vernonfarmer

Naming your boat

Post by vernonfarmer »

It's common practice for owners of larger, inboard boats to name their vessels and paint the name on the transom. Does anyone name their runabout or utility boats fitted with outboard motors? If so, where do you put the name? Or, is it a silly idea to begin with?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

My boats are named. However, I have never put the name on the boat. The transoms are just to small.

My '55 Thompson Thomboy is "Thommy" and my '57 Thompson Sea Lancer is "Valhalla."

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I currently call mine 'Driftwood'. But I am not crazy about the name - so i wont paint it on the boat. When i fond the name I really like, I will. I originally wanted to call it "Glass Master", with a sub title "All Class, No Glass". But no one gets it. Philistines all.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
lapstrakelouie

Boat name

Post by lapstrakelouie »

Yes I think all boats, classic boats that is, should be named. How else you gonna keep track of them? My 1959 Off Shore has room on the starboard transom for the name " Leviathan" and below that the year "1959". The swim platform is on the port side. MY 22' Sea Lane cabin has the name on the transom above the outdrive and also on the sides of the boat on the varnished strake under the cabin sides. I use vinyl letters, lots of colors and styles, about $40, easy to remove when time for repaint or varnish. Hair dryer makes them soft and easy to peel off.
Andy Butchard
1959 19' Off Shore
1963 22' Sea Lane Cabin
1960 16' Cruisers Holiday
1960 17 Cruisers Commander
1964 20' Cruisers Vacationer