Old Style Steering Parts

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

HalcyonDays

Old Style Steering Parts

Post by HalcyonDays »

Does anyone have a source for the components for the old style cable pulley steering systems? My local marine store said that they were illegal now. Some of the components on mine look a little tired and I would like to replace.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Cable is still available chek with West Marine they handle the plastic covered tiller cable, tiller rope swivel pulleys and tiller rope clamps. If you look in the 2008 catalog they are on Page 656.

I do not know about being illegal, have not heard that before. I think possibly on a new boat you would not be able to buy that style of steering set up any longer withthe new single cable steering set ups who would wnat the old style cable set up on a boat.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I can not imagine that theis system of steering is illegal. If so, I have eight boats or so that are non-conforming.

You can get the plastic coated cable at big box home centers such as Home Depot. Springs are the same as used on screen doors.

Andreas
Michael J. Seiber

Post by Michael J. Seiber »

I just had the Coast Gaurd do a safety inspection on my 202. They never said a word about the steering system not complying. The boat past with flying colors. I got my new springs at home depot.
Andeas, I saw the note you left for the Thompson on ebay in Illinois. I should have bid on that boat! I'm looking at another here in Pa. Hope I get it.