John in Crosby TX , check in

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JoeCB

John in Crosby TX , check in

Post by JoeCB »

John, how did you make out during the big storm? I hope that you made it thru with minimal damage.
My recollection is that you are on or pretty close to the bay and sufferer some damage in a storm a couple of years back.

We are getting three days of steady rain from Ike all the way up here in MI.

Joe B
john

Post by john »

Joe

Thanks for asking. We are great?? Will be running on genset for 2 to 4 weeks?? Phone and DSL out, air card just starting to work. Cell coverage is bad. No damage to house, but it was exciting!!! Neighbor lost about 6 big trees, only one on garage. Winds snapped light poles at top and transformers fell to ground. Something like 97% of electric is out. Curfew 9pm to 6am for next week, for all Houston city limits. All boats were in garage and are fine. Jon boat was out of water for 24 hours, but is back in, lots of trash in water. Eye went right over us.

Looks like running on genset is going to be a 15 gallons a day habit?
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

John, It's good to hear that you made it thru pretty much intact, from what I see on the news many were not so fortunate.

Joe
john

Post by john »

Joe

The news always looks for the worst case. I'm about 40 miles as the crows fly from the real damage, neighbor told me he saw a report we had gusts to 110 by my home. Most damage is to trees, they are down all everywhere. Most damage around here on homes is from falling trees and blown shingles.

On the coast it was bad, but that's 40 miles away.

The biggest problem in Houston is the power outage and gas lines. Phone and internet problems are just adding to the problem.

In the next week or so long term temporary housing will become a problem. Good time to have rental homes that are damage free.