Hello!

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Cap'nMatt

Hello!

Post by Cap'nMatt »

I wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. I'm Matt, and I've been around the site and seen the fine work that you've all done on your boats. I'm working on a 195? Sea Lancer (Hull #D81548 M, Serial #12560) that has been in my wife's family since her grandfather bought it new. It has the original outboard motor that he bought with it, an Evinrude 4 50 Starflite.

We've just started to work on it, and it seems to be in good shape. No broken ribs, no soft spots or rot. We flooded it a few inches, and there was some leaks along the keel and a bit in the transom. I'm planning to order the back issue of the Dockside dealing with leaks, and hopefully get her sealed up tight.

Based off of the recommendations I read here, I ordered Kirby paint to freshen her up. Does anyone have a recommendation for a varnish or sealer for the bilge? Like I said, there's no rot, so I don't think CPES is needed, but I would like to treat the inner hull before I replace the deck. Thanks, and I look foward to cooresponding with all of you!http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... 6067612514
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=60676155
Cap'nMatt

Ooops!

Post by Cap'nMatt »

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard. Nice boat!

I assume the serial number tag says "Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. Peshtigo, Wis". If yes, she is a 1958 model year boat. The hull ID "D 81548 M" indicates this is the 1,548th boat (of all models) made in the model year 1958. the "D" is a code for the builder and the "M" is a code for the trimmer. These were the two guys in the factory in charge of making this boat. If this boat was built at Cortland, the hull ID has an entirely different interpretation.

Use a marine spar varnish, any brand is acceptable. For the bilge, you can probably thin it with mineral spirits. Scuff up the wood a bit with something like a 3M scotch Bright pad. Make sure you clean and vacuum before you apply the varnish.

My user boat is a '57 Peshtigo built Sea Lancer. I also had a '58 for a while. I restored a '59 Sea Lancer too and a '61 and a '65! I have Sea Lancer tunnel vision apparently!

Cheerio!

Andreas
thompsonboat@msn.com
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Welcome from the Michigan contingent of the "Sea Lancers" . My user boat is a 57' Sea Lancer, from your pics the interior arrangement appears identical to mine... even the swing up rear seat hardware. When I freshened up the varnish on the interior I did as AJR suggested... wash with something that will cut the oil residue (like TSP), dry throughly, scuff up a bit then I sprayed with thinned conventional marine varnish (like Z- Spar Captian's).
Cool looking period motor... complements the boat. if you intend to keep this motor I strongly suggest that you hook up with the Antique Outboard Motor Club and a near by local chapter AOMCI.org
Joe B
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

She looks nice an solid - good luck with her!!!!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware