Differentiation between sea lancer/coaster and coasters inc?

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

240sxguy

Differentiation between sea lancer/coaster and coasters inc?

Post by 240sxguy »

Hey guys, I am now seriously on the hunt for a thompson project for the winter. They are popping up like crazy, but I am having a little trouble deciphering which boats are which size wise. You may remember before that I would like to seat 6.

I know the off-shore will handle that, but what about the sea coaster? Most folks don't really know what they have and its a long drive to see some of these boats to find out that its not the right one. They look similar in pictures, can you provide descriminating features to help me determine what I am veiwing.

Also, there is an 18' cruisers inc that looks like a good project. Are they inferior to the thompsons in any way?

Thanks!

Evan
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

240sxguy,

The overall size of the boat is what determines the weight carrying capacity and HP of motor that can be used. To handle 6 adults comfortably you need to be in a 18 footer or larger depending how cozy you want everyone to be. The bigger the boat the more room and comfort for your passengers.

Cruisers was a spin off of Thompson, children of the original Thompson brothers, at one point they where making boats for Thompson and putting the Thompson name on them because the Thompson factory was not able to keep up. So a Cruisers boat is almost identical to the Thompson hull design and they are quality boats.

I hope this has answered your questions.

Good luck on your search.

Phill
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Thanks Phil, that does help actually. I have to look at a sea coaster in town tonight and go see another that is located about 1.5 hours away tomorrow. They are popping up like crazy right now.

Evan

EDIT: I see your in appleton! One is in Franklin, and the other is here (in Madison).
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

240sxguy,

Many of the Thompson boat models had the same hull design but when they changed the interior or deck layouts they gave them different names.

Main thing to look for isder the floor boards of these bigger boats. That area is one alot of people never really took care of, out of site out of mind thing. The ribs and keelsons are the area of most rot on many of these larger boats. Water got in under the floor board along with sand and junk and layed theree soaking the wood and keeping it wet allowing the rot to get into the wood and distroy it.

Good Luck with you search.

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Boat models from Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. changed every few years. Major redesigns occured in 1959, 1962; and 1964. Boats got longer, wider, etc.... It was similar to the auto industry.

In the lapstrake Thompson of Peshtigo boats of the 1950s and 1960s, from smallest to largest is: Sea Skiff/Sea Mate; Sea Coaster; Sea Lancer; Off-Shore; and Sea Lane.

The '57 Sea Lancer is 16'-7" long; 16'-9" in 1958; 17'-0" in 1959-1961; 17'-2" in 1962 and 1963; 17'-11" in 1964 and beyond. The 1963 Sea Coaster is about 16'-8". So you can't just say that a Sea Lancer is bigger. It depends upon the year.

The best bet to learn about the different models, sizes, seating, ect... is to spend the $40.00 for the CD-ROM of the brochures. She's available at www.wcha.org and www.dragonflycanoe.com

No, Cruisers, Inc. are not inferior to Thompson boats. The earliest ones were probably of better quality than Thomspon.

The mid 1960s Sea Coaster may be able to handle six people. Definately a tight squeeze tho. The earlier ones would be very uncomfortable with six.

Andreas
Last edited by LancerBoy on Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Great post Andreas, that clears things right up.

Evan