Cover boat for travel or not?

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dan Wolf

Cover boat for travel or not?

Post by Dan Wolf »

Ok heres a quick one. I'm heading to Silver lake MI. this coming week. Its a 5 hr drive. Do you guys put covers over your boats when you tow or do you tow without. Curious Dan Wolf
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

No cover.

Andreas
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Thanks, less drag too...Dan
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Just to complicate your decision.... for short trips no cover. However, if we are planning a "road trip" like from home in S-E Michigan to the Thompson Rally in WI, I go thru the hassel of securing a road cover. Big PIA , have to ensure that the cover is well fitted and securelly tied down to prevent flapping and resulting abrasion to paint and varnish. My biggest concern is hauling in the rain ang getting all the nasty road slop in side the boat. Depending on the weather outlook for your 5 hour trip I likley would go bare.
PS , Silver Lake near Traverse City... really beautiful place.
Joe B
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I always use the cover. unless it is just a few miles to the ramp.

I use it for several reasons. It keeps all water out of the boat in the event of rain, so I don't have to worry about rot from the inside.. it protects in case there is a summer hail storm.. it protects against rocks and road debris cracking the windshield glass, and keeps the windshield frame and motor shroud from getting sandblasted running down the highway for 500 miles.

Plus, if you have anything in the boat like life jackets, bumpers, etc. you don't have to worry about anything bouncing out.

The one I have is custom made and fits tight.
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

All good advise. I went without an found one problem. It was sunny and the windshield of the boat threw out a glare the size of a car. I was embarassd driving down the highway. I kept waiting for State Patrol to stop me. Thank heaven it was cloudy half the way back. Other than that great trip! Pulled the kiddies around on a ski-bob with the 40hp Johnson. A little slow but the kids didn't mind. Got a little rub on the back of the transom due to rubbing on a block I didn't see. But otherwise good time.