"Scraper"

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

"Scraper"

Post by thegammas »

Sigh...it's an addition this old boat stuff

On Friday I was off loading some scrap at the 'local scrap yard'. While waiting my turn I was checking out all the massive dumpsters full of stuff. One was over flowing with engine parts...Blocks, heads, etc. Perched on top of the pile was this engine. I asked if they would sell it. Sure! 50 cents a pound.

I pulled if off the pile (without killing myself) and looked it over. Looked complete, but obviously had been sitting outside somewhere. Everything on it was stiff, and it appeared seized. The pull handle wouldnt budge, I couldnt move the flywheel (I think I had it in nuetral). The bonnet was full of bird nests.

I thought about. But...I'm a merc guy (1962 Merc 1000, thank you very much), and Ive got enough junk in my shop that I am going to 'restore'. I left with out it.

But as you suspect, I couldn't do it. I couldnt let a complete motor get shredded. Two hours later I was back, and at 68 pounds, took home a likely seized motor I know noting about for 34 bucks.

Now that I have it home it appears to be quite complete. But it does appear to be seized up. Haven't had a chance to give it a close look, so dont know if it is the lower, the head, etc etc.. The guys from fiberglassics tell me shes a '54 FastTrwin 15hp.

I have some boat plans for a 13 foot runabout that were cut from a 1959 Popular Mechanix magazine. Maybe I'll build that, then restore this motor. Would look cool. I'll call it "Scraper" in honor of the motor.

Now if I only didn't have to work for a living, I'd have the time for such folly.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Not too much unlike the one I just bought from the Wausau auction last Sat. I might need parts for mine (a '57).
Verne :lol:
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

hmmm. well, if she doesn't unlock for me, you may be in business!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware