Non Thompson Question (Hacker Craft)

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

THE LAKE

Non Thompson Question (Hacker Craft)

Post by THE LAKE »

I know this is a Thompson Boats forum and I am mindful to keep my posts to issues regarding my Cruiser's Inc Commander 302V, but to be honest, I find the members of this site to be far easier to communicate with than the two other boat related websites I've joined. As such, with apologies for this being a non Thompson boat question, I was wondering if anyone could explain for me the history of Hacker Craft. It would seem to me that way back when (1920's ?) Chris Craft had a designer named Hacker who is responsible for some of their most cherished boat designs and that the name was revived in recent years by somebody. You can purchase a new Hacker Craft today. They are absolutely gorgeous high end wooden boats of the type I can only dream of. Can anybody tell me what the story is on this subject ?

Thanks
Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

There have been several books published on HackerCraft.

John Hacker was a marine designer. He designed boats for many builders including Chris-Craft. He also had his own boat works. Vintage HackerCraft boats are very sought after by collectors. They are steps above a Chris-Craft in terms of quality.

A 1927 HackerCraft 28 ft. Dolphin Deluxe triple cockpit runabout needing a full restoration sold at an auction a week ago for $57,000.

The resurgance of Hacker built boats in the 1980s and 1990s were junk. Very poor quality materials and workmanship. Today I think the new company owners have cleaned up their act and I think the ones currently being built are of good quality.

There has been tons published on Mr. Hacker and his boats in magazines and books.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

Thank you Andreas and pardon my ignorance. After reading your post , a quick check via Google turned up a 1944 35ft for $695,000. And a host of sites and books as you mention.

I've always loved boats, but only recently have become interested in them for their proper place in history, the lore of those who built them etc. I've wanted a wooden boat for some time but caught the bug really bad when I went to an antique boat show this summer. There was a 2007 Hacker Craft at that show that was absolutely gorgeous by the way. The owner said he paid $175,000 for it and was delighted to have gotten it at that price. I wondered at the time why his boat was in the show, reading your post, I think probably because of the name on the hull.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)