Wood Boat Camping Trip

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

txcaptdan

Wood Boat Camping Trip

Post by txcaptdan »

My two good friends Andy and Mark and I trailered our boats from Eagle Mountain Lake near Fort Worth to the Colorado River on the upper stretches of Lake Travis outside of Austin. Andy brought his 23' 1963 Thompson Sealane, Mark brought Andy's 19' 1959 Thompson offshore and I pulled my 20' 1964 Cruisers Inc Seacamper.

After scouting two ramps we finally found one to our liking with a nice soft shore to land hulls coming and going.

We ran upstream the first day 5 or 6 miles and found a great camping spot across the river from a rock face covered in cactus and brush.

We built a fire on the shore and enjoyed the stars that night. I finally got to use my Seacamper as a camper! A very comfortable boat to sleep aboard. We enjoyed a breakfast of coffee, eggs and bacon as the sun made its way over the opposite cliffed shoreline/

We all enjoyed cruising the next day 70 miles or so down Lake Travis and back, this lake meanders through the Texas hill country and we usually were running along high rock cliffs and enjoying glass smooth water.

Temps in the 80s during the day and 50s at night made a great camping experience.

I have recently re-powered my Seacamper from an old 90 hp Johnson to a 1985 115hp Johnson wow like night and day. I can comfortably run in the mid 20s and top out at almost 40. The new engine has tilt and trim which was a necessity when backing up to campsites,

We spent the next night in a small inlet off the main river channel by the campfire listening to coyotes howl in the canyons around us. We awoke to Turkeys and Deer on our shore the next morning.

These three boats together were quite a sight and even attracted a few locals who came by boat over to see them.

Trips like this make all the work it takes to bring these beautiful watercraft back to life!

Ah….memories!!!!
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

txcaptdan Thank you for sharing both the text and photos of your super trip. I look forward to meeting some folks like your friends and sharing a similar experince when I get my boat finished.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I wanna join in the fun next time!!!!

Excellent photos and report. I can just imagine how fun it was.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Thanks guys, I enjoyed the pix and looks like great fun was had by all.
Any equipment failures or near misses?
Thanks for sharing.

Joe B
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

No mishaps or mechanical problems. All three boats performed beautifully and took on very little water over three days.
Andy is an old hand at river camping and took the lead in planning this adventure.
The only problem was finding a ramp that suited us. But our second choice worked out great.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
NickRummy

Post by NickRummy »

Wow that looks like a great time! I really want to run on a river sometime. Looks like a blast.