How to properly store partially disassembled boat..

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

240sxguy

How to properly store partially disassembled boat..

Post by 240sxguy »

I am going to put our boat back on the trailer and hide it away in the shed until the time comes where I can fix it. I have removed the decking on the front and intend on replacing it with regular 1/4" luan to help the boat hold it's shape. I also plan on staining/varnishing the rub rail area where it runs down the boat to the back. I have that completely stripped and storing it with no protection seems like a bad idea.

Is there anything I should do besides being sure the bunks extend past the transom for what could be long term storage? I will likely lay the seats inside the boat along with the other parts just so they don't get lost track of. I assume best practice is not covering it up with plastic. The roof doesn't leak.

Thanks guys.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Cheap old blue/green tarps are fine for covering. Just to keep dust down and animal droppngs to a minimum. Mouse poison and moth balls are not a bad idea. The idea of getting something back on the deck for lateral bracing is a good one!

Label stuff! so that in ten years you are reminded of what the heck it is supposed to be and go!

Andreas
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

The labeling is a good idea. I hadn't really thought about that one. I did separate and bag all the hardware so a sharpie marker should eliminate some head scratching. I do have chipmunks and other rodents that frequent my shed, my Jack Russel loves going in there to look for them.

I haven't fully committed to putting this thing into the shed yet. We shall see what happens.

Thanks Andreas.

Evan