death of Roy Thompson at age 96

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

death of Roy Thompson at age 96

Post by LancerBoy »

I just learned of the death of Roy H. Thompson at age 96. He passed away 27 Jan 2011 in Scottsdale, AZ.

An obituary can be found online at the Peshtigo Times:
http://www.peshtigotimes.net/?id=16043

Roy started working at Thompson Boat in Peshtigo as a child. He was co-founder of the Thompson Boat Mart at Minocqua and one of the six founders of Cruisers, Inc. at Oconto. He retired as president of the Mirro Marine Division of Mirro Aluminum Company in 1978.

Roy attended the Thomspon Antique & Classic Boat Rally and gave a talk in 2004 - the 100th anniversary of the boat company.

I was lucky enough to communicate with Roy for the past decade or so. The world has lost another old timer in the mairne industry.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Sorry to hear about the passing of Mr. Thompson.. another bit of our history lost. I met Roy and several members of the Thompson family at na ACBS boat show in Penn Yan, NY back 5 or 6 years ago. The local show was featuring Thompsons. I trailered my Sea Lancer from MI. Most of the other Thompsons there were NY built , mine the only Peshtigo boat. I found a pix of Roy and I next to my boat.
Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Actually, that is BOB Thompson, not Roy. Bob and Roy were first cousins. Bob was son of Ted Thompsn, Sr. and Roy was son of Christ Thompson.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Thanks for the correction Andreas, I had labled the pix in my file "R Thompson" R - Robert !!
Joe B