1959 Thompson Sea Coaster

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Orvy

Post by Orvy »

I just purchased a 1959 Thompson Wood boat in Tawas City, Michigan and brought it back to Florida to restore. The hull number is U21258S 6A. I know the U is the builder and the S is the trimmer. I guess the 1258 is the number of boats in that series. The first 2 has me stumped as does the 6A. Any ideas? I've owned a few wood boats over the years, but not in the last 30 years. I'm really looking forward to restoring this one as my wife and I have always loved the old wooden boats. I'll be doing this one in a carport, which isn't the ideal place, but I plan to build a hoist with 4x4's with a 2 ton come-a-long and a strap to lift the boat one end at a time and put it on 2x4's and blocks. I wish I had the room to flip it, but my carport is only 10'8" wide. The motor is a 1959 Johnson Super 35 motor and I'm building a stand for it. Any tips or suggestions anyone can provide would be helpful. Thanks, Orvy :D
Orvy
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

What company built the boat and at what location? This is important. Be accurate and complete. Is there a metal builder' tag with name of maker and location and serial number?

Is there a metal tag from the Outboard Boating Club with maximum HP and weight capacity ratings?

What is the centerline length of the boat and gunwale length? What is the beam (width)? What is the transom width?

Pictures are helpful. You can email them directly to me if you can't get them posted here.

Andreas
thomsponboat@msn.com
john

Post by john »

The width of the carport, has no relationship to flipping it. Just flip it in any open area with the help of several friends and trailer it back, up side dowm.
Orvy

Post by Orvy »

Thanks for the quick response! The metal tag for the weight capacity is gone. I do have the metal tag where it was built. It was built by the Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. Peshtigo Wisconsin. Serial # 22357. I'm just looking it over and trying to decide what I need and what to do next!

Some questions! Can you buy new Thompson Rub Rails? I don't know if I can save these. I may have to replace some of the Mahogany Veneer, is there a source for this that the rest of you use?

I'll have to remove the plexiglass windshield before I can measure it and I haven't gotten that far yet. I'll have to take some pictures and get them to you. Thanks again, Orvy
Orvy
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

She is a 1962 model year boat, not 1959. Both the hull ID and serial number confirm the year of 1962.

I know that in the hull ID code "A" was Bill Luedke's letter. He still lives south of Peshtigo. I believe that "U" was Herbert Loberger. He died a couple of years ago. He attended the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally several years.

The Sea Coaster in 1962 was probably around to 16 ft. centerline length. I think the Sea Lancer was 17'-2" in 1962.

If the rub rail is the combination rubber/vinyl with aluminum insert, yes this can be replaced. Wefco Rubber in California for the rubber/vinyl and any aluminum extrusion firm for the metal.

What veneer needs replacement? Do you mean the plywood?

Andreas