Aluminum strip in white rubber rub rail

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Orvy

Aluminum strip in white rubber rub rail

Post by Orvy »

I'm having a tough time removing the rub rail from my Thompson Sea Mate. With all the staples and screws with out heads on them I am forced to pry it loose, which results in the aluminum insert being bent and kinked. I've only begun to remove about 2 feet of it and hate to go on as I am ruining the aluminum insert. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to straighten out the aluminum once it is off? I would like to save it if possible. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Orvy
Orvy
Classicboats4me

Post by Classicboats4me »

when I did mine I padded a bench vise with some wood blocks. I then pulled it thru.[/i]
Ron Pistohl
1965 Thompson Sea Mate
1975 Yar-Craft Yankee
Oshkosh,Wisconsin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
Orvy

Straightening the aluminum strip

Post by Orvy »

Thanks Ron for the information. I'm doing this boat in a carport and working out of a shed 10' x 11'. The boat is 14' 7". Since the aluminum is in 3 sections, 2 - 10 1/2' and one 12', I could probably make it work if I can curve it around a little in the shed. That is a good idea. I hope I can make it work. Sure wish I had a little more working room. By the way, what did you pull it with? I don't think you could just pull it by hand!? Thanks again, Orvy
Orvy