Thompson I/O ??

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JALL

Thompson I/O ??

Post by JALL »

What year did Thompson start building boats with I/O units? THANKS
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

At Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. in Peshtigo it was the summer of 1959. Starting with the Off-Shore and Sea Lancer models. Volvo-Penta units.

They first appear in the 1960 model year brochure.

Later they added other brands as those brands came into being such as MerCruiser, Interceptor Eaton, OMC, West Bend... They also added models to the availability of stern drives.

Cruisers, Inc. Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. and T & T Boats, Inc. all lagged behind Thompson of Peshtigo in this technology.

Andreas
JALL

Post by JALL »

Just saw an ad on Fiberclassics for a Cruisers Inc Fageol 44 I/O, 16ft Commodore. I don't think I've seen it on that site before. It is listed as a '57 ad.
JALL

Post by JALL »

Sorry, meant FiberGlassics
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

It's a copy of an advertisement in the Glassis Library section of www.fiberglassics.com

The Faegol inboard marine drive was an oddity that made a small, short lived splash in the boating industry. It was an automobile-like engine turned on end with an outboard outdrive stuck to it. The outdrive was placed in a hole thru the bottom of the boat.

Cruisers, Inc. advertised it in one of their models and printed a single sheet flyer. I have never seen one nor heard of one that exists.

Someone on fiberglassics has a Faegol in a classic 'glass boat.

Andreas
JALL

1920 Thompson I/O

Post by JALL »

Looking at the Thompson Boat CD I see many boats like the 1920 Auto Express Style X. Were these boats ever built? Thanks for any help
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I can only assume that yes, they were built and sold. There are no records to consult.

I know they made at least one of the "Black Beauty" inboard runabouts. That's the ultimate Thompson for my collection! They built at least one of the camper trailers in the mid 1930s. It is in the brochure but I also have seen a picture of it in the factory.

The Thompson family made an inboard runabout for their own personal use in the 1920s. It was never pictured or mentioned in a brochure. There was a picture of it in the "Peshtigo Times" newspaper. That also would be a great boat to find. I doubt it still exists, however.

The 50 ft. Gulf of Mexico fishing boat that Thompson built in 1912 would also be a great find! Or the launch they built for Mr. Studebaker of Studebaker auto fame that went to his compond in northwestern Wisconsin.

Andreas