the elusive Thompson cabin cruiser

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

the elusive Thompson cabin cruiser

Post by LancerBoy »

Take a look at the picture of a lapstrake cabin cruiser boat. The caption indicates it is a 21 ft. Thompson. This is from the 1956 "Small Boats Guide", a magazine-like publication I recently found at a thrift store.

I wonder if it is the 19 ft. cruiser made BY Cruisers, Inc. at Oconto in 1953-54? From my previous research, at least two of cabin cruisers were made by Cruisers in late 1953-early 1954. One went to the Chicago boat show and another went to the NY boat show. Could this be a photo of one of 'em that made its way into a 1956 magazine and was mis-labeled as a 21 footer?

Maybe???

Andreas
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

All I can tell you is.............Plaid was IN!

Verne :wink:
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Did some more digging. Compared this photo to the photos in the flyer created by Thompson and Cruisers, Inc. in 1954 and also a newspaper article photo. I am sure that this is the cabin cruiser designed and sold by Thompson but made by Cruisers, Inc.

She is 19'-3" centerline length.

At least two of these were built. This would be a great "barn find", woundn't it!!!

Andreas
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Wow!
Is it even known if these two boats were sold(perhaps at the shows).
I used to own a 1938 Richardson "little Giant" cabin cruiser. At 28 feet in length it seemed like a 40 footer when it came time to start stripping the paint.
The cool thing about the Thompson is that at that length and height it would very trailerable.
We will all have to keep our eyes peeled for that one.
Karl.