Boat Inspection in Minn

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

Boat Inspection in Minn

Post by John Hart »

I am interested in hearing about your experience in Minnesota (like at Minnetonka) or maybe even Wisc, with respect to boat ramp inspectors.

I am a slo-mo this year getting out in my Seacoaster, and was going to go recently to Lake Minnetonka. But, several days ago, I read that the inspections for Zebra mussles and plants has been stepped up as of July 1.

Evidently, there is a $100 fine for not removing the drain plug while transporting...and, if the inspector wants to , the bottom of your boat could be powerwwashed.

I am pretty particular, as I suspect are most of you. In order to ensure there was no infiltration of water through my drain plug, I tightened it in good (T-type expanding), and then even filled the open hole end on the outside of the transom with Bedding compound. It looks basically like I waxed the hole over.

I don't want to remove my plug every time I take the boat out.... I have zero water coming in, so need zero hole to let water out.... nor, do I want someone hitting my 50 yr old wood with a 1200 psi washer....

So, does anyone know how particular or flexible the DNR folks are with our classic boats?

John.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I'm in Minnesota and launch and trailer my boats all the time. I encounter the very freindly and educational inspectors nearly every time I launch and retrieve. They are doing a great job of education.

Regards to the drain plug, it is state law that it must be open during trailering. State troopers and local police can pull you over for having it plugged. The inspectors at a ramp may give you some leeway. I thought the fine was more like $150.00.

I do not have a drain plug in my '55 Thomboy. I have gotten to know the inspectors on Minnetonka and they recognize the boat. One inspector recognized my face and wondered the other day why I did not have the Thomboy out but rather another boat. So, I have gotten to know some of the inspectors. They know my boat and me and realize I am consious of the laws and that I do clean out any water from my boat and clean off junk from the trailer etc...

On my boats with a drain plug, I open it up as required each and every time I depart the ramp.

I have not been asked to get the boat power washed. This is for folks that don't follow the laws or have a boat that's been in the water for a long time and has obviuos invasive species on it. I've seen a few boats gp thru the wash station and it's very obvious that they needed it. Also, if a person is beligerant, that would be cause for the inspectors to insist on a wash.

These are good laws and they will help to slow the spread of invasive species.

Andreas
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

I live in Eastern Washington and Idaho has these check stations. I've had to buy an invasive species sticker and stop for inspection to go boating in Idaho. They can detain and wash your boat (so can Washington but they don't have the check points yet). Really, if you don't have any debrise or invasive species they don't wash the boat. It was a quick visual check. Make sure you don't have any invasive species or plant matter hanging off the boat or trailer and they probably won't wash. Not sure about the drain plug- I don't think it's against the law to leave it in here but not 100% sure. Again, I'm talking about Idaho and not Mini-soda. I'm all for these types of check points.