Towing Vehicle Question

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

richnle

Towing Vehicle Question

Post by richnle »

My vehicle was totaled in an accident Thursday and I need to decide on a replacement quickly. Although this would not be my primary towing vehicle, I would like to get something that I can use to tow my wood boats from time to time. I am looking at the Mazda CX5 with a manual transmission for a number of reasons. It is rated with a towing capacity of 2000 lbs. One of my friends think I will destroy the clutch trying to tow with this vehicle with a manual transmission. I am very comfortable driving a manual transmission and am not so worried. Any opinions? Thanks

Rich
Rich Rosselli
1961 Grady-White Hatteras 17 ft
1962 Penn Yan Baltic 16 ft
1963 Grady-White Pacific 19 ft
Torchie

Re: Towing Vehicle Question

Post by Torchie »

I towed for many years using a manuel transmission and never had a problem. Although using a clutch can get interesting at the launch ramp. :shock:
My main criteria for a tow vehicle has always been wheel base length.
I see way to many people with smaller SUV's type vehicles towing trailers that are much longer than their car/trucks.
If they start to have a problem it kind of becomes like the tail wagging the dog.
Karl.
LancerBoy

Re: Towing Vehicle Question

Post by LancerBoy »

I too towed with manual transmission trucks for years and years and years. No big deal - other than when on an incline and popping the clutch to move forward. That can be exciting sometimes! A little roll backwards first before getting forward momentum!

I have no idea what a Mazda CX5 is, so I cannot comment on that particular vehicle. I had a Mazda 323SE 4 door sedan (my first auto), circa 1988. I used it a lot to haul lumber on a roof rack!

Andreas