To Miles and Andreas

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Torchie

To Miles and Andreas

Post by Torchie »

Miles and Andreas.
I read your response to the ACBS with great interest and I feel that you hit the nail on the head.
Like most of you I have been messing with wooden boats for a long time( as well as cars, motorcycles,etc) and have watched the hobby grow.

The nice thing about the Thompsons is that they are still within reach of the average do it yourselfer.They can be bought for a reasonable price and rebuilt/restored with just basic hand tools and relativly inexpensive materials in your garage. I have owned CC, Centurys, and Lyman's and I must say that I have had the most fun with my Thompson. It is nice to see a well done Thompson and to know that most likely it was done by the owner.

For many years this style of boat were looked down upon by the classic boating crowd as being to common. But now as other brands of boats become cost prohibaitve and harder to get it only makes sense that the desire for our boats would go up as well. I for one hope that wanting to "Judge" a Thompson does not ever lead to a trend that puts these boats out of reach for the very people that have kept them alive for all these years.

Miles and Andreas keep up the good work as this site and your participation in it is appreciated. Most likely more than you both know.
Happy New Year from Nothern Michigan to all of you here on the Thompson Dockside.
Karl.
johnthompson

Re: To Miles and Andreas

Post by johnthompson »

I agree, the response was thoughtful, well written, and spot on.

I too greatly appreciate the hours or work of Miles and Andreas to keep our Thompson family boats on top of the water and those of us at the helms informed.

No award can match the thrill I get every time I get behind the wheel of one of our Thompson Boats.
John Thompson
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Sounds interesting - can someone post or point me to the link / forum in question?
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

I would also be very interested in reading the response that was referred to in the first post. It struck a chord with me because I've been very active in judging of certain model cars for many years. I've seen how awards earned from a venue with knowledgable judges result in increased values.

Verne :wink:
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I'm too wondering what this is about?

Thanks for the kind comments.

Andreas
TDockside

Post by TDockside »

I am not sure what the confusion is here!

The response that Andreas and I wrote to the ACBS is on the home page.

For the record, we never received a response from the ACBS as the result of what was written to them. I don't know about Andreas but no one from the ACBS has continued the conversation with me, which is fine with me.

Wishing everyone a Happy and prosperous new year, and remember you can never show up at too many boat shows in 2013!

I know this should probably be a separate thread but I thought what the hell I will bring it up here. Does it make sense, or would it confuse the issue to have a "Wanted" Post/thread. I am thinking that if people are looking for specific items to complete their boat, I would list your "Wanted" items at no charge. HOWEVER....

1. They would have to be specific items.
2. I am on the fence about having the responses to the published.
3. It would not bother me that people continually keep their "wanted" item active but they would have to renew or repost after a
certain amount of time. This comes from the For Sale section where people do not tell me they sold their boat.

Food for thought.

See you at Dockside

Miles
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

So am I the only one on this site that reads it cover to cover. LOL
My lengthy first comment on this thread was in regards to a post on the home page from Miles and Andreas in regards to Thompson
boats being judged at ACBS events.
In regard to the second part of your post Miles. I believe that a" Wanted" section would be a good thing.
I am not real active on the computer but I do belong to a couple of old car/hot rod forums that have been around for a while now
and both of them have a wanted section. On these site the responses are sent via PM (private message)not as a comment to the thread.I believe that we have this option as well on this site. That way the details of the tranaction are not available to the entire membership of the site.
In fact that is how you respond to the "for sale" items as well which makes being a member of the site essential.
On both these sites you can renew your ad after a preset number of days and it bumps it back up to the top of the page. And it is also up to the original ad poster to remove the post when the item is sold or in the case of a wanted,found.
Just as an aside neither of these forums allow the reposting of adds from other sites.
More food for thought...
Karl.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

100% right on! Miles your letter said it all... with authority! My $0.02 worth... judging, even where possible to an authoritive standard is a dangerous slippery slope. I have owned a 1931 Model A Ford coupe since I was in high school , 1964. I did what many back in those days considered a pretty nice restoration, to wit a second place ribbon at a major MARC "judgement day" event. That was back in the late 60's. These days, I doubt that my car would even be allowed on the grounds of a major event, you see, now it's all about the "check book" . Sorry! points off because your brake rod clevis pins are suposed to be cadinum plated not black oxide, etc , etc

Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

That letter was written and sent 5 years ago or thereabouts. That's why I forgot all about it!
I still agree with it.
Andreas
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

LancerBoy wrote:I'm too wondering what this is about?

Thanks for the kind comments.

Andreas
I don't feel so bad now about missing the item of discussion. :wink:
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

TDockside wrote:I am not sure what the confusion is here!

The response that Andreas and I wrote to the ACBS is on the home page.

For the record, we never received a response from the ACBS as the result of what was written to them. I don't know about Andreas but no one from the ACBS has continued the conversation with me, which is fine with me.

Wishing everyone a Happy and prosperous new year, and remember you can never show up at too many boat shows in 2013!

I know this should probably be a separate thread but I thought what the hell I will bring it up here. Does it make sense, or would it confuse the issue to have a "Wanted" Post/thread. I am thinking that if people are looking for specific items to complete their boat, I would list your "Wanted" items at no charge. HOWEVER....

1. They would have to be specific items.
2. I am on the fence about having the responses to the published.
3. It would not bother me that people continually keep their "wanted" item active but they would have to renew or repost after a
certain amount of time. This comes from the For Sale section where people do not tell me they sold their boat.

Food for thought.

See you at Dockside

Miles
MIles,
I would be very much in favor of a parts wanted section. I agree that it would be best if replies were not allowed; only PMs or emails. And they should automatically be deleted after a certain period unless the poster hits a "re-post" button.

Thanks for asking and considering that.
Verne :)