HELP with Thompson records/papers

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

a j r

HELP with Thompson records/papers

Post by a j r »

HELP is needed. I have started the process to put into a computer database the shipping records of Thompson's Cortland, NY plant.

What is this you say? There are three large hand-written ledger books of boat shipments for the Cortland, NY plant of Thompson located at the archives of the Mariners' Museum in Newport News, VA. They span 1948-1951 and 1959-1962 and 1962-1967.

I created a database (actually Jerry Conrad of the Museum did) and spent two days entering the data from one of the books. I got about six months completed. It will literally takes years to complete this project.

Your assistance is needed. If you live near the Newport News/Norfolk, VA area or if you visit the area - stop by the Museum and spend a few hours typing. It is just a matter of typing and entering the information into a computer. It is very simple work. If more people than me work at this it will make the job go much quicker.

The 1959-1967 books do have hull numbers. So...this means if you have a Cortland built boat from that time period and have the hull ID, this eventual database can be searched. You will then be able to tell when your boat was shipped, to whom it was shipped and their location, the model, and some basic information about accessories. It will be an excellent resource.

I have started with the 1959-1962 book.

Contact me if you think you can help out.

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
Minneapolis
612-823-3990
thompsonboat@msn.com
a j r

Post by a j r »

Would love to get some help on this important project.

Andreas
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

Has there ever been any kind of info like this from the peshtigo plant? Just curious.
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

ajr-

I'm nowhere near Virginia but would be happy to enter data from photocopied/faxed/scanned pages if it would help. I could at least get the info into excel.

Let me know.
Matt
a j r

Post by a j r »

Sorry, NO records are known to exist of any kind from the Peshtigo operation of Thompson.

The ledger books are in Virginia and cannot leave the premises of the Mariner's Muesum. This really has to be an on-site endeavor.

Andreas
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

a j r wrote:The ledger books are in Virginia and cannot leave the premises of the Mariner's Muesum. This really has to be an on-site endeavor.

Andreas
Hence the faxed/photocopied/scanned question. Just trying to help.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Someone would have to go to Newport News to do the photocopy or scanning work, so why not just enter the data??

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Andreas - I dont get to VA much - but may be taking a trip later this spring or summer - If I do, I will most certainly contact you and lend a hand
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware