Gauges

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Shaun E.

Gauges

Post by Shaun E. »

Does anybody know of any companies or people that restore/repair old gauges? I want to get my tach and speedo working again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
a j r

Post by a j r »

Clawson Classic Instruments in Anacortes, WA. phone: 360-299-8636, email: mclawson@fidalgo.net

Kocian Instrumenbts in Depere, WI. www.ccgauges.com, phone: 920-336-1591

I am sure there are others.

Hope this helps. If your boat is a 1957 Peshtigo built Sea Lancer, it would not have come from the factory with ANY gauges as a standard item. The only gauge offered by Thompson in 1957 was a speedometer and that was an option..

Andreas
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

The boat is far from original. My grandfather changed alot of things. He removed the filp out windshields(he said they rattled, but I do have them)
he installed a fuel tank under the front seats, he made braces for the transom(he said that thompson told him to do this when he put the 1964 evinrude 90 for extra support. They are aluminum from the transom to the stringers.) The boat has had three different motors starting with 35 big twin, then a 1958 50 horse and finally the 90 it has now. He had connections at the evinrude plant in milwaukee so everthing came off the dock and he installed it himself. The hull number is H72467 and after I unbury it in my fathers garage i will measure it. It looks like a twin to yours. Thanks for your help Andreas and I will get in touch with you when I can get it measured.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I'd be interested in seeing what the bracing looks like - I have a 100 hp merc on my NY Sea Lancer. I was considering bracing the transom myself.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

Both the 1957 and 1958 Thompson Sea Lancers that I have owned had factory original metal braces from the transom to the stringers. So I wonder if those braces on your boat were original from the factory in 1957?

The 1959 Sea Lancer I just completed restoring did not have them. I added wooden knees from transom to stingers.

If your boat is a 1957 Sea Lancer, her centerline length is 16'-7"

Andreas
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

I measured it today and it is 16'-7" long. I also got my cd catalog today so it definetly is a sea lancer and according to the cd it has almost all of the options including the original convertable top and it is lemonade.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Than we have the same model! My user boat is a '57 Peshtigo built Sea Lancer. Some photos are at www.freewebs.com/thompsonboat/index.html

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Shaun... I had a speedometer that didn't work, and decided to very carefully dismantle it, to see if I could see the problem. It was fairly uncomplicated, but delicate inside. The main mechanism, was a flat coil that unrolled as the pressure increased.... As one person blew hard into the inlet tube, you could see the coil move.... It worked like the party things that extend as you blow on the mouthpiece.

In my case, the coil was working fine, but the speedo faceplate (flat black circle with markings and labels) was so distorted, the needle was not able to move... We carefully heated this plate and made it flat again... then the neededl could move and register properly...