65 WI Offshore??

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

PeterZ

65 WI Offshore??

Post by PeterZ »

Hello

I just looked at what is believed to be a WI built 65 Offshore. Can you perhaps verify. Unfortunately the transom was partially dis-assembeled and I could not find the metal tag. However I was able to locate the stamp in the transom, however a little suspect as it was hard to read. Here goes V?0890. I think the ? is a 6 or a 5 or a U, sorry. the boat is 20'1" long, 7' wide.

If its any help, it has an "offshore" emblam on the padded dash. The color of the padded dash and seat cusions is white, the main deck and side decks (gunnels?) are covered with tan vinyle.

Thanks for any input.

Regards
Peter
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The number that will indicate the year is the "?".

V = code for the guy in the factory in charge of getting this boat completed (it was NOT an initial of his name). the "builder"
? = last digit of model year
0890 = either 890th boat of all models made that year or 89th model
the last character could be the number "0" or the letter "O". If it is a number, then she is the 890th boat. If it is the letter "O" then it is a code for the "trimmer" in the factory and this is the 89th boat made that model year.

The Off-Shore in 1965 was 20'-1" centerline length and 21'-9" gunwale length with beam of 96 inches. Model 2000 had a front bench seat with storage cabinets built into the back of the back rest. Model 2050 had back-to-back fold down seats. Dimensions were the same in the 1966 model year.

Starting in 1965 there also was a Full-V hull Off-Shore which had a "V" shape to the hull all the back to the transom.

sometimes the hull ID got written on the back of the dashboard or bottoms of seats.

Hope this helps.

Andreas
PeterZ

Post by PeterZ »

Andreas

Thanks for the explanation. Hmmmm, ... beam of 96", thats 8', I measured 7' I think, but the boat was partially covered and it was hard to tell. The boat had the bench seats with storage behind and the padding up the back and on top of the seat.

I wonder if it could be a Cortland, even though the owner swears its a WI boat. Did they make offshores in Cortland?
I don't have my Thompson CD handy, on the road.

Thanks again for your explanation.

Regards
Peter
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Cortland did not have the Off-Shore model after 1962. Thompson Boat Co. of New York, Inc. had very different designs and details compared to Peshtigo starting in the 1962 model year.

So, if she has an "Off-Shore" name badge on the dash, it is a boat made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI.

Andreas