Introduction and questions.. Sea Lancer

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

m13thompson

Introduction and questions.. Sea Lancer

Post by m13thompson »

Hi, I have been lurking this forum even before I purchased my Sea Lancer (Cortland NY) and now as I replace the outer keel and spruce her up topside as well, I now feel more a part of the Thompson group. I'm going to try to post some pics related to my questions. The ID tag photo for any info on the year and and evidentially this came with a toilet beneath a lift section in the front seat. Some piping and plugs are all that is left of it. Has anyone kept it ,even just for show? I'm sure more questions and pics will be comming as I progress. John [/img]
m13thompson

Post by m13thompson »

Well so much for the images? I have them uploaded to Photobucket but , like many things, I'm not sure how to post. When I click the IMG tab on the posting page the insert image prompt shows in the block but from there I'm not getting it. Anyway Hi everyone and I'm really loving the boat I took her out last Fall when I purchased her with trailer and outboard and just began the repairs a couple weeks ago. Having fun with all that if it wasn't for the heat waves we have been having here on the East coast.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

m13thompson,

Welcome Aboard.

It can be tricky posting photos, I know I have problems at time remembering which to click on and copy to the posting.

You need to post each picture individually. When on photo bucket click on the photo you want to post and then click on the last item in the drop down list, this will copy the link and you can paste it into you your post. The photo will ne appear until you submit the post.

Hope this helps. Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Good luck and again Welcome Aboard.

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

cut and paste. cut 'em from photobucket and then paste them into the text of your posting.

Andreas
m13thompson

Post by m13thompson »

let me tryImage
m13thompson

Post by m13thompson »

again this is the plaque beneath the fold up portion of the front seat and the pipingImage also the Thompson logo on both rear sides is plastic. was this typical of cortland or aftermarket replacement? also the outer keel ended in a taper about 18 inches from the transom. I plan to run the new one all the way as this covers the underlying center seam. any reason I should not? Thanks
m13thompson

Post by m13thompson »

This is the topside removed and to be replaced and re-stained/varnished. The windshield frame needs some pieces replaced. I fortunately have a small stockpile of mahogany lumber I saved from my cabinetmaking days 20 plus years ago. The origional greenish pressboard? false bottom pieces are in good shape but have peeling paint from some earlier re-painting. Although not original to this model I plan to paint the outside above and below the waterline the mist green from the Thompson color chart.The decking and top lapstrake will be reg. mahogany stained Ply,okumn or marati, excuse the spelling please, and varnish. I have burnt off the copper paint(yep I'm toxic!) and will replace all the screw putty while I'm underneath. From having it once in the water before I began the tear-down the only OBVIOUS leak was seepage at the keel at the stem junction. The high temps here this week or two have slowed my progress a bit. but excited for sure about her overall good condition.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

Better to ask restoration questions in the restoration forum.

The floor boards are most likely tempered hardboard with an embossed surface to make it a bit less slippery when wet. Originally painted.

Is the serial number 56740? The ledger books of shipments from Cortland are archived at the Mariners' Museum in Newport News, VA in the Chris-Craft collection. I started to enter them into a computer database. I only got thru a portion of 1959 and into 1960.

The highest serial numebr I entered is 56601 and that was shipped on 2/27/1960. So, your boat has a wee bit higher number. Most likely shipped in the first part of 1960. I'd venture to guess that you have a 1960 model year boat.

Hope this helps.

Andreas
m13thompson

Post by m13thompson »

Thanks Phil and Lancerboy for your replies. The owner said he thought it was a 1960 but he was at least the 2nd owner and wasn't sure the papers he had were accurate. That is 56740. I found it near Annapolis Maryland I'll move my restoration questions to the proper topic. in the forum. Thanks again