Is this the Offshore model?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

AndyM

Is this the Offshore model?

Post by AndyM »

I recently picked up my Grandfathers boat that my Father had for many years and it was slightly neglected.

Paperwork has the hull id number as 023470 it is about 19 feet long. Has what i'm told is the original Balko trailer and that the boat was purchased new with the twin mercury 45 horse motors.
AndyM

Re: Is this the Offshore model?

Post by AndyM »

I would like to know if anyone has any specific info on this boat that I should be aware of.
Unfortunantly it won't be quite original because of the condition but I wanted to have it fixed up to keep it in the family.

The floor was completly rotted out.

It's been at a restoration place for about 6 months now and is coming along nicely.

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Hi,

Is the boat at Sunrise River Boatworks in Forest Lake, MN?

MUST have HULL ID AND SERIAL NUMBER to determine the year. They are different if she was a Peshtigo built boat. Serial number is stamped into a small rectangular metal tag with the manufacturer's name and location. It may be attached to the middle of the dashboard or the transom, inside the boat. MUST have the name and location exactly and completely.

Also need HULL ID which is stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat. Usually starboard side. Sometimes stamped upside down. Sometimes covered up by some component attached to the transom.

There were several "Thompson" boat makers, so we must know which one and at what location this beauty was built.

Measurements are also required to determine the model.

Andreas
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Serial number plate says Thompson peshtigo 18674
Number stamped on transom is 023470
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Yes it is at Sunrise River Boat works.
I was told my Grandfather ordered it direct from Thompson with the 2 motors
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Hi Andy,

I saw this boat many months ago at Sunrise before they started working on her! I poked around her a little bit and recorded the hull ID and serial number. Hull ID "02347 O" indicates the 2,347th boat of all models made in the 1960 model year. The letter "O" at the end is a code for the guy in the factory that was the leadman of the crew that built this boat.

She is a 1960 model year boat. "Off-Shore" model 1000. Her centerline length should be 18'-8" and gunwale length 19'-10". OBC maximum HP rating of 140 HP and 2,250 pounds weight capacity. her suggested retail price was $1,450.00. That was boat only with standard accessories and no motor, trailer, convertible top, etc.... Dealers typically got 25% off that price and then they just added it back on as their profit.

Sunrise was working on another Thompson of Peshtigo boat at the time of my visit. Also a 1960 Off-Shore but the Cabin Cruiser model. A very rare boat.

It is doubtful that the boat came directly from Thompson Boat with the twin Mercs. They did not install motors on the boats, other than the few that were used each year for show boats and in photo shoots. Boats were sent from the factory to dealerships without motors or trailers and often times not even windshield frames or hardware.

Hope this helps. And hope to see you and the boat at the Thompson Boat Rally on 22 June 2013 at Marinette WI. If you are in Minnesota you should think about bringing her to one of the shows. www.acbs-bslol.com has shows at White Bear Lake in June; Bayport in August, and Excelsior on Lake Minnetonka in September.

Andreas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Brochures for Thompson et.al. have been scanned and are available for purchase on a CD-ROM at www.wcha.org

Andreas
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

After 8 months I was able to pick up my Thompson..

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

SWEET !!

They forgot to paint the blue/teal parallelogram behind the chromed "Thompson" hullside logos. I spoke to Aaron about this a couple of times.

Oh, it is VERY important to get this boat off that roller trailer. You will destroy the hull shape. You need to convert it to a bunk trailer or get a bunk trailer.

You better bring this beauty to the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally on 22 June 2013.

Andreas
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Looks nice. Did the boat have the windshield frame or did the boat shop make one from scratch?

Looks like they lined the inner walls with wood over the ribbing. Was that original to that model?

Thanks for sharing!
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

The roller trailer was just used to get the boat home I am putting bunks on the original trailer after it is sand blasted.

I decided to skip the blue backgroung for the logo right now I like the clean look without it.

The boards on the inside were added because the wood inside was weathered and I did not like the multi colors of it when finished. I wanted it to look clean.

I have both motors completly rebuilt just need to drop them on. It has 2 Merc 45hp 1960 models on it with the Ride-Glide steering.

The windshield was in the bottom of the boat when I hauled it out of my dads barn last fall.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Andy,

Looks really nice. Hope to see you and your boat at the Thompson Rally in Marinette on June 21st & 22nd. Would love to see it in person.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I think it's important to have the blue/teal parallelogram behind the logo. It's original and it distinguishes the boat as one made by Thompson of WI vs. Thompson of NY. Just my opinion.

Andreas
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Finally got the Thompson on the water this weekend..

Here she is ready to go to the launch..

On the water..

Patrick Lawlor

Post by Patrick Lawlor »

That is really pretty. The workmanship put into the restoration looks first class. Pat