Our first wood boat

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Shaun

Our first wood boat

Post by Shaun »

Hi everyone, I am new here and to wooden boats. I have been into boating for a long time and even used to build new ones. I haven't had a boat in several years and have been getting the itch to get one. As I started looking, the antique wood boats caught my eye. My wife and I came across some Thompson boats. After a little research, it was interesting they were built in Peshtigo. We attending the rally, which was great to see so many beautiful boats up close. So last week we found one that was actually in fairly descent shape. We were told it was a 1963 17' Thompson from Peshtigo. After looking at the numbers and talking to Andreas, he said it was a 1958 Sea Lancer. Although it is blue I chipped a little paint away towards the back of the boat and found some yellow paint. So my guess is that at one time it was lemonade yellow. I look forward to the restoration. I already have a lot of questions which I will ask later if I can't find the answers. This is a great forum! Here is the link to the picture since I couldn't figure out how to copy it into the attachment box below. Thanks! http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w67 ... ea7d07.jpg

Shaun

Last edited by Shaun on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Shaun

Re: Our first wood boat

Post by Shaun »

I guess the most important question to start with is where to start. The engine is off the boat which is probably a good thing. But where is a good place to start? Do you just start ripping it apart or work on little parts at one time? My thought was to start with the hull stripping it and repainting. If I did that is there an easy way to flip it or do most of you just crawl under it to do the work? Thanks!

Shaun
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Forget about cosmetics until the boat is sea worthy and safe and structurally sound. Repair or replace any rotten wood or cracked split wood in planking, ribs, keelson, stem, keel, stringers, transom, etc... A lapstrake boat like this should NOT leak. If it leaks, there is a PROBLEM. Get it fixed.

Pay close attention to ribs where they meet the keelson under the floor boards. This is a very typical spot for decay.

Only after the boat is structural sound should you start refinishing and dong other cosmetic work. So, there is no rush to purchase stain and varnish and paint. Make the boat safe and seaworthy for you and your family and friends first and foremost, then and only then make her pretty.

Andreas
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

LancerBoy wrote:Forget about cosmetics until the boat is sea worthy and safe and structurally sound. Repair or replace any rotten wood or cracked split wood in planking, ribs, keelson, stem, keel, stringers, transom, etc... A lapstrake boat like this should NOT leak. If it leaks, there is a PROBLEM. Get it fixed.

Pay close attention to ribs where they meet the keelson under the floor boards. This is a very typical spot for decay.

Only after the boat is structural sound should you start refinishing and dong other cosmetic work. So, there is no rush to purchase stain and varnish and paint. Make the boat safe and seaworthy for you and your family and friends first and foremost, then and only then make her pretty.

Andreas
That is the best advice you could get. Make sure you have a good foundation before you make it pretty.

Verne :D :D :D
JALL

Post by JALL »

Has the procedure to copy and paste on Photobucket changed? Thanks
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Right click on image and open in new tab worked for me! 8)
Threesheets

Post by Threesheets »

Hey Shaun, I just picked up a 62 Sea Lancer, looks identical to yours except for color. Needs restoration also. My bottom and internal structure looks pretty sound so I'm not going to flip it over if I don't have to. I will be replacing the deck and gunwale covers and probably build a new windshield frame. I also have to find the specs and make new seats from scratch so I'm real interested in your seat configuration. I think mine came with the folding fore and aft seats which would make it a model 950. Any pics of the interior you could post would be great to see. Links to my "before" pics below:

http://s768.photobucket.com/user/hullfl ... sort=3&o=7
http://s768.photobucket.com/user/hullfl ... sort=3&o=6
http://s768.photobucket.com/user/hullfl ... sort=3&o=5

Best regards,
Mike Campbell
Modesto CA
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

nice.

That horrible bottom paint must go. Copper bronze is correct and it certainly should not be that goofy line that drops down in front of the spray rails and they curves and follows the planking near the bow.

Do you have the other floor boards? They screw pattern and outline of the seat bases may clue us in on the correct seats.

The padded "eye brows" on the dashboard were only utilized on 1962 model Sea Lancer and Off-Shore models made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI.

Andreas
Threesheets

Post by Threesheets »

Hi Andreas, I kept the boards for patterns, etc., so I'll inspect them for assembly holes. I've got a post in "Restoration" with a link to all my pics so far. BTW, you sent me some great pics and identified the boat for me few days ago via email before I registered on the forum. Pretty goofy waterline paint, I have no idea what they were thinking. I've also got to get it off the rollers.
Thanks again,

Mike Campbell