Ethanol Questions

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

txcaptdan

Ethanol Questions

Post by txcaptdan »

With the addition of ethanol into the fuel chain, should we be adding some sort of additional filter in line from our fuel tanks to capture moisture generated by this type fuel?

A lot of inboards already have this but most older outboards do not, just a straight fuel line with pressure bulb to engine.
Will an inline filter work on a bulb line?

I have also read that mixing old MTBE fuel and ethanol is a bad thing as it tends to make a sludge that gets into everything bringing some engines to a hault. This is a huge problem with big boats in marinas.

The factory filter at fuel pumps on engine is no good for this new problem.
I have an old fuel water seperator from a big cruiser but it is as large as an old oil filter.

Has anyone tried filtering before with outboards? What did you do?
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Assuming we are not talking about the high ethanol E85 blend, just the 10% or so "usual" consumer fuel mix... I thing the problem with older outboards is more acute than a little moisture retention. The alcohol in these new fuel blends will attack and soften the rubber hoses, seals and pump diaphrams in older motors , both outboards as well as automobiles. Also carb floats made of cork will have the old style shellac coating stripped leading to soaked floats and flooded engines. If you don't put many hours on your motors and drain carbs after each use this may be a gradual degradition with the 10% fuels. At present, I try to use 100% gasoline, which is still available in MI. I usually run Shell as it's reputed to have no alcohol... though I've not been able to verify this.
Joe B
a j r

Post by a j r »

I can't answer your question about filters. I was told by the guy that built my twin 1957 Johnson 35's to NOT use ethanol at all. He said it eats the seals and hoses, etc...like Joe mentioned.

I purchase all my fuel at a land station that sells non-ethanol fuel or on the lake, which is always non-ethanol (at least in this neck of the woods).

Andreas
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

I have installed water seperators in many boats with outboards back in the mid 90s when RFG(reformulated gas) was forced into this area. OMC sent us a service bulletin saying it was ok to use, suggesting the use of ethanol over MTBE or methanol due to the corrosive nature of the latter. The big problem comes into play with boats with inboard fuel tanks because the shelf life of RFG is only a week before it starts to breakdown. OMC suggested using 2+4 fuel conditioner to extend the shelf life and to help with some of the contaminents of the fuel. I still have the bulletin if anyone wants to see it, I can scan and email it to you. Shaun
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Actually - I would like to see that bulletin Shaun. Also, I saw a product on OldMercs.com which was a water capture devise that you place in the tank - I believe it works by absorbing the water that collects. It's of a size that would fit in my 6 gallon on-deck tanks.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

I will have to go and get it from my fathers house where all my papers are, so have patience and I will send it. Shaun
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

any time is fine - i'm all laid up as it is - thanks!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware