New generation two strokes...The sequel.

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Goose

New generation two strokes...The sequel.

Post by Goose »

I realize this is a similar question to another post but thought it was different enough to post.

I have a 16 ft. Thompson and am currently going to be sending in the information to get the make, model, etc. My question is regarding the engine I have on it now and what newer engine I could put on it.

I now have an Evinrude 35 (Lark). I have been seriously thinking about the new Evinrude e-tec but am not sure about how big I can go. The problem is I do not have a plate on the boat. I could not find one and when the boat was redone last summer they could not find it either. Just looking at what others have on their boats it seems like I could actually go quite big (70 - 100ish). Not sure I want to go that much but would like to jump up to a 50-60 hp engine, again thinking about an e-tec just because of all of the good things I am hearing.

I am mostly using it around Madison and Northern WI but occasionally will hit big water on Lake Michigan in good weather.

Ideas, comments and suggestions are definately welcome.

Thanks,
Bill Giesecke
Madison, WI
john

Post by john »

There is a huge difference in performance between old and new engines. I own a 1960 16' Cruiser inc. 202. Max hp is 80. My 1960 75 Evinrude pushes it 35 very easily and better than 40 with the right prop. I usually run my 1960 Evinrude 40 Lark. I prefer the 40 hp, cruises very well at 18/20 and get about 30 miles per 6 gal. Top speed is 25/28 mph. The 75 gets 15/20 miles per tank at same speed. The 75hp is more than enough power, maybe to much.

New engines built since mid 70's are rated at prop shaft hp, before then it was crank shaft hp, the difference is 10 to 20 %. A 70 hp today could easily have 80 hp at the crank shaft. The other big difference is props are a lot better today and add several mph over old prop designs.

I would limit you 16' to a 50/60 hp engine to have the same performance our boats had with a old 75 hp engine. A new 30 hp could give better performance than your old 35 with at least 1/2 the fuel burn.

I run a 1981 Evinrude 25 hp (prop shaft hp) on my jon boat, it runs only 1 mph slower than my 1960 Evinrude 40 (crankshaft hp) on the same boat. Fuel usage is at 20% less than the 1969 40 hp. The 1981 25 has a old generation prop. If it had a "new generation exhaust thru blade" prop it would probably do better.

I believe you will do better with a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke due to the added weight of the new 4 strokes. My 1960 Evinrude 75 weights about 230 pounds. My 1960 40 weights about 135#. New engines are very heavy especially the 4 strokes. Getting twice the mpg of older engines could easily reduce an extra tank of gas for the same range (50#). I notice my boat is stern weight sensitive, probably yours too.

Our boats are probably not as structuraly sould as they were 47 years ago, just another reason no to run them as hard as we could in 1960. With this in mind maybe a present day 30/40 hp such be considered max.

http://www.aerialimaging.net/johnpics35

16' Cruisers at 41.7 mph gps with 1960 Evinrude 75.
a j r

Post by a j r »

You need to determine the make, model and year of your boat first. This way, proper advice can be given.

What firm made the boat and where?
Is this a plywood lapstrake or cedar strip or fiberglass boat?
What is the centerline length and gunwale length?
What is the beam?
What is the transom width?
What is the hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom?
What is the serial number (if any)?

Post this information here and we can assist you. Pictures are helpful too.

Andreas
email: thompsonboat@msn.com
Goose

Finally some time to respond

Post by Goose »

Well I am pulling a lot of this from memory and of course the boat is up getting the new engine put on as my Evinrude decided to give up the ghost. I ended up going with a 2000 Honda 40 hp and put in a bilge pump.

I believe it is plywood lapstrake with a centerline of 15'9". Honestly I don't know the beam, transom width or the gunwale length and it has been about 15 years since I measured. Looking at the sale of the boat and what it has been registered as, it is listed at 16 feet. I cant make out the serial number but the plate has Thompson Boat, Cortland, New York.

The hull ID is 22471

I am thinking about redoing the interior and adding a bench seat along the back which would give me a transom box and a few seats. Also adding a shelf up under the front deck, redoing the seats behind the front bench and putting in a table that I can take down and put up as needed. Having my mother (who has the talent when it comes to sewing) make up some cushions for the seats that would be about the same thickness of a flotation cushion

Here are the pictures

Before Brightworks Boatworks in Madison

After

Sorry about the turned pictures. Not sure what happened but I couldn't get them edited to come out right side up.

Thanks
Bill Giesecke
Madison, WI
a j r

Thompson of NY

Post by a j r »

She looks very nice!

Looks like a boat made at "Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc." in Cortland, NY. Is that what is printed on the metal serial number tag?

The hullside logo is post 1960. The two step angled transom is also post 1960. The steering wheel logo indicates a Cortland, NY post 1959 boat.

I have no clue how to interpret the hull ID 22471 for a Thompson of NY boat. I venture to guess that she is about a 1961 or 1962 Sea Coaster.

The seat backs and little jump seats in the "before" pictures are definately not original.

Andreas
Ron P

Post by Ron P »

Thanks for posting the pictures. She looks great!

Is the Madison area have a boat show this summer?
Ron Pistohl
64 Cruisers Inc. 17 ft,W/64Johnson 90hp

65 Thompson 15 ft.W/65 Evinrude 40hp
Appleton,Wisconsin
Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
a j r

Post by a j r »

There are classic boat shows at Pewaukee on 25 August, Madsion on 15 Sept., and Lake Geneva on 28-30 Sept. www.acbs.org can get you links to the local chapters.

There are several others in Wisconsin. There are two nice shows in Minnesota: 11 August at Bayport across from Hudson, WI; and 08 Sept, on Lake Minnetonka only 40 miles from the Wisconsin border.

Andreas
Goose

Boat show

Post by Goose »

Christie's on Lake Waubesa (Madison) is having a wooden boat show September 15th.

http://www.christyslanding.net/flyer1.jpg
Bill Giesecke
Madison, WI