Johnson Stalling

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

txcaptdan

Johnson Stalling

Post by txcaptdan »

I am just starting to get a 64 Johnson 90hp Meteor rigged and running on my 20' Seacamper. it was running fine on boat it was removed from. When I start it , it fires right up, it runs for maybe 1 to 1-1/2 min then dies and will not restart. Is this a sign that the water pump is not working and the heat override is kicking in?
How do you know if override has engaged?
Thanks
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
joelsm65

Post by joelsm65 »

is there any water coming out of the exhaust? minute and half is long for no water! and all the other possiblities, fuel, distributor and ive even delt with motor position, like how far back it is tilted and not getting fuel after what is in the resevior has burned out or the choke isturned off and the fuel pores out, hope that helps, but im not expert.
john

Post by john »

Could be a fuel pump? Carb float leval? Does priming bulb help?

Water in gas?

Does priming allow motor to restart?

A 90 does not have a high temp. cut out.

Call me if you need
John Platou
832 473 8928
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Capt Dan, I think John has got you on the right track. Does it restart after repriming with the bulb? Or can you keep it running by pumping the bulb ? ... if so, first suspect is a suction leak between the fuel pump and fuel tank. If that motor has a filter sediment bowl be sure the bowl is properlty seated on a GOOD gasket. After checking the suction side of the fuel system... next suspect might be the fuel pump itself.
Good luck
Joe
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I do not believe it is a fuel problem. The engine starts up right away and will run for as long as I will let it. I replaced water pump so that is not an isssue, but even with priming line it will not restart after turning it off. Seems like spark has been turned off. I can let it cool down overnight and she will start right up again. then refuse to restart. Any ideas?
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
john

Post by john »

Does engine speed make any difference? Is it at idle only?

Could be condensor or maybe coil.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Capt. Dan... OK let's try this again. My $0.02 worth. Your latest discription of symptoms is a little different than previously posted. It does sound like an electrical problem. The engine does not restart when the engine is warm, but would keep running if allowed too, correct? Did you check to see if you have spark during the "no start" ? This should be the first thing to check. If you have spark, does the engine try to start ie. fire/ spit/ backfire?... timing problem, perhaps? Does your enging have the 12 volt automotive style ignition or a magneto?
Not trying to play 20 questions here, just trying to get a better understanding of the symptoms?
Joe
john

Post by john »

Joe B

Engine could have weak spark if coil or consensor is weak.

Best to replace condensor, there are cheap. Coil is another matter.

Would not hurt to check timing and also point gap. Book says to advance carb a little for slop in linkage.

Will engine start if you hold throdle open?

Are reed valves flat against stops?

Is engine flooding out? What do spark plugs look like? Wet or Dry?

The 90 is the first 4 barrel carb. Not as easy as a 59,60,65,75,80,or 85 to work with.

The 90's had bat. ignition.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Sorry its taken so long to get back, trying to solve several engines problems at once. Replaced water pump impeller, old one did not look bad, but I have a leaky seal under waterpump and am awaiting an assembly seal for replacement. So that has stopped my engine repairs for now.
Yes engine is a battery type ignition with points and coil, I swapped coil for new one I had- same symptoms, I replaced condenser - same sympstoms. Engine will kick back when trying to restart, but never catch. I ran it the other day in a trash can of water and she ran as long as I would let her, shut her down and no restart?
I have not yet attacked carbs , a stack of four , but engine seems start right away cold and run fine up until shut down.
I have to get lower unit installed before I can proceed any farther.
Thanks for all the help.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas