Merc 650, any experience

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

TreelineIII

Merc 650, any experience

Post by TreelineIII »

I have a 58 Cruiser Vacationer 18.5' with the Merc 78A dockbuster. Though I want to restore this engine, I need another engine better suited for family use, and working sooner then later. I have a chance to get a 1965 Merc 650. Apparently it ran 2 years ago, then went to storage. Please understand my questions are coming from a non-mechanical guy, but interested to learn. Not having a compresion tester, how would you recomend I test the eningine? Would you recomend I remove a spak plug and feel if there is compresion when turnig the flywheel? It does come with controls, but no prop. What would you expect me to pay for a new prop? And better yet, do you think this engine has the power needed for my boat? Please share any other quick checks I can do to evaluate a motor. The story of the motor is elderly laddy who's husband passes away 2 years ago, no longer has use for motor and is mooving. She is willing to part with this for $170. The motor looks to be showing its age with scratches and the like but no major hits. With cost of a prop and any potential repairs I am concerned if this is a costly slop I am getting on cheap. I welcome all your coments.
Eric
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Eric,

If when you pull the starter rope you can feel there is good compression on all cyclinders, I would say you should be getting a decent motor without getting deeper into the workings of the engine. Also if the area under the cowling is relatively clean and not a lot of oil and dirt around the block it was take care of and at $170.00 is a steal. A prop will cost you a few bucks maybe $75.00 to $150.00 depending on what type and make you get. Who knows you might find one for alot less. I found one at Boat US for my 1957 - 18 HP Evinrude for around $9.99 on the close out table. Original price was somewhere around $75.00. I spent $650.00 to have a 1957 35HP Evinrude tuned up and had the coils and flywheel replace a couple years ago and felt I was getting a deal. The motor originally cost me around $600.00 to $800.00 when I bought it with a 1955 Thompson Super Deluxe Runabout in 2002.

You can always find someone who will pay you more then the $170.00 for that motor. Look at the Antique Outboard Motor Club website you might just find someone who has a prop that will fit or if you deside to not keep the motor you can sell it to someone in the club. People are always looking for old motors to restore.

Good Luck,
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

Phil, thanks for the confirmation and voice of encouragement. If my wife has an issue I might be needing your phone number:) I do appreciate your tips. I think I am going to go ahead with this. I am going over tomorrow to pick it up. I have my fingers crossed.
Thanks,
a j r

Post by a j r »

65 HP might be a little whimpy for an 18 1/2 ft boat. I had 110 HP on a 16'-7" Thompson Sea Lancer. I currently have twin 35 HP Johnsons on her transom. I would not want any less HP.

$170.00 sound like a good price.

Andreas