Help Please I am having a heck of a time with the prop

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

prdawg

Help Please I am having a heck of a time with the prop

Post by prdawg »

:?: :D

Hello, I purchased my boat used several years ago and need to put the correct prop on the boat. Boat: 1987,Thompson Carrera Cuddy Cabin 19'8" The engine is the MCM 165 HP in-line 4 cylinder, Closed Coolent, Stater Flywheel. OutDrive Ser #0B609235 Transom Assy # 0B630906 Motor Ser # B647509 My mechanic tells me the gear ratio is 1:84:1 for the OD. The out drive numbers are barely legible. The top of the outdrive states Alpha I-165. So I think it is still the original OD. Currently I have a 13 3/4 X 17 P prop on the boat. Maximum RPM is 3486 (shop tach), Max speed is 28 MPH. I want to get the boat up to the max RPM range as stated on the engine to between 4200 and 4600. I need to increase my top speed. I do a lot of medium range cruising. I have tried several sized props, higher pitch but same dia. what came on this boat from Thompson ? Before I start buying props I thought I might try a 13 or 15-P. I do not live close to a Mercruiser dealer that has a prop exchange program.

Love my Thompson on Lake Superior !

prdawg
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Try contacting Mecury direct online at www.mercurymarine.com.

You can also look at the page below from their website that might help. It refers to a publication they have that might help "Everything you need to know about propellers".

http://www.mercurymarine.com/serviceand ... opping.php

I might just get it myself for future reference.

Start with the guys that built the outdrive and go from there. The boat manufactures relied on them to fit the proper drive to the boat.

Good luck!

Phill
prdawg

Post by prdawg »

Phil,

Thank you for your response. I tried that and the reply from mercury marine was go to your local dealer and contact your boat manufacturer. So since Thompson has been out of business, I thought I would give it a try on this site which I have gained a lot of knowledge from. Maybe I will resend my info and see if I get a different rep ! Thank you again !

KUB
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

KUB,

Did you try the prop selection feature on the web site I gave in my first responce? It looked like it would give you the info that you need.

Phill
john

Post by john »

Is yoiur drive trimmed all the way down? It should not be, prop shaft should be parrell on have a positive angle of up to 8 degrees from boat bottom.

Do you have power trim or just lift?

You bottom might also have a hook.

15 pitch will turn more rpm but top speed might be slower?
prdawg

Post by prdawg »

Phil,

I tried that and my model year was not available nor engine size, so I worked up several scenarios but was not satisfied to start trying out props.

KUB
prdawg

Post by prdawg »

John,

Thank you for your response. I have power tilt/trim and trim tabs. I will double check on your suggestion this weekend. What do you know about larger diameter props say vs. the 13.75. I have noticed they are getting more into changing diameters as well as pitch. I have been reading a lot of info re: dia. + pitch but practical experience goes a long way

KUB
john

Post by john »

30 years ago I was an R&D engine for Mercury. You can do little with prop dia yourself. Merc can do a lot more than a boater with dia. They have that figured out.

Triming can easily increase engine speed 500 rpm, try that first. If it does not work, look at bottom for hook, a 1/4" in 3' can make a difference. Does the boat bow steerring @ wot? If it does it's hooked.

Just reread your story. You have a glass boat not wood. Probably not hooked. Have you weighted boat, could have water logged foam floatation?

Have you tried a fuel filter, plug wires? Have you run a compression check? How about timing and timing advance. Plugs can also do it. Does pulling one wire at a time change engine rpm on any cycl that an other. Does the throdle open the carb all the way.

Do you have the correct gear ratio in outdrive, there were several ratio from 1.5 to 2.2 maybe ever 2.5. If you ehgine was designed for use with a 2.0 and you have a 1.5 . Prop pitch would change by 1.5 / 2 = .75 16" pitch x .75 = 12" pitch. You are probably not that bad but you get the idea?

Your boat should run 49/45 maybe 50 trimmed to max if set up right.

If you run trimmed way under that would limit top speed to 28, especialy if you a a planing fin on outdrive.
john

Post by john »

I just calculated max speed for your prop @ 3486 rpm with 1.84 ratio, top speeed without slip is 30.17 mph less 10% slip = 27 mph???

Problem is not prop, either boat weight, bottom, or egine hp output, or trim adjustment. Has boat been left in water? or trailered, that could do it. Dirty bottom.
prdawg

Post by prdawg »

John,

Thank you !

I replaced fuel filter and that's good, Will check timing and advance along with a new tune up including rotor cap, rotor, plugs. I should check the plug wires. The throttle is adjusted and the carb seems to be operating fine, dont think it needs a kit. Checked comp when bought and all cyl were good at that time. The boat and trailer weighed I belive weighed around 2200 pounds (Its been 3 years?) when loaded on the transport vessel. Boat bottom is clean (Lake Superior) super cold.and is stored October - April. Every fall the boat is pressured washed and covered, spring it gets a cleaning and wax job. NO fin on OD so will play around with the trim settings, maybe 30-32 mph is good for the 165 HP 4 cyl with this boat. I think maybe a 15 P prop will work as a I need a spare.

Thanks

KUB
john

Post by john »

30/32 is slow way slow. Can you email me a picture? If boat, motor, and trailer weight 2200 it should run better than 40 with ease. jplatou10@verizon.net or call me at 832 473 8928

When you get in out again, slowing raise trim until prop looses bit (rpm jumps) then trim under a little, that should give you best mph.
prdawg

Post by prdawg »

John,

I will e:mail photo. I will see if I still have the document with the actual weight. 19'6" Cuddy with 4cyl. No real heavy and the hull is dry.

Thanks

KUB