McCulloch Flying Scott

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

vernonfarmer

McCulloch Flying Scott

Post by vernonfarmer »

Greetings,

Wondering if Thompson ever equipped their boats with the McCulloch motors. My '59 Chetek Duchess was fitted with the Flying Scott at the factory. About to dive into the motor after working for a year on the boat. Anyone have any experience with these motors? I do know the water pumps were problematic and I've already rebuilt mine.

Thanks,
John

a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi,

It is highly unlikely that Chetek Boat Corp. put the motor on the boat. Outboard motors and their controls were installed at the dealership, not at the factory.

So, the answer to your questions is NO, Thomspon Boat; Cruisers, Inc.; T & T Boats, etc... did not install McCollouch outboards at the factory. That holds true for any and all other outboard motor brands.

Did Thompson Boats, etc.. get McColloch outboards on them eventually either at the dealer or installed by an owner. Absolutley yes.

Try www.aomci.org to find folks familiar with Flying Scotts. www.fiberglassics.com is another good resource.

Andreas
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

Yeah, I realized that what I wrote wasn't what I meant. Too many varnish fumes last night! Thanks, I'll check out those sites.

So...How do I get one of those nifty license plate thingies?

john