Outboards 101 question

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

HOPOIL

Outboards 101 question

Post by HOPOIL »

let me ask this question here. (sorry if it seems elementary)
Can any (or some) outboards that have tiller controls be modified to work with cable controls?

I have a '53 Sea Coaster without an engine, so I've been looking around and this question occurred to me.

thanks
HOPOIL
Syracuse, NY
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

HOPOIL,

Most of the tiller type outboards from the 50's and later where either ready to adapt to remote cable controls by just attaching the cables using the correct cable end. In some cases you had to purchase an adptor kit the would convert them. This would be for the smaller HP motors like my 6 HP Johnson sail motor for the 70's.
The larger HP motors where set up from the factory for remote controls and do not have tillers.

Good Luck!
Phill
JoeCB

Motor controls

Post by JoeCB »

Most all classic Evinrudes, Johnsons and many others are set up for both tiller control and cable control. Just look on the throttle side and the gear shift side for the remote cable anchor clips (trunions) ( or the pads for attaching same) , also the little studs or bayonet hole for attaching the cable endn connectors.
When using the remote cables it is not necessary to remove the tiller handle... just fold it to the up position.

Joe B
HOPOIL

Post by HOPOIL »

Thanks; I was hoping that some engines could be used both ways.

(I have more pressing issues to deal with on the boat itself, before I get too excited about finding an outboard - - - hopefully it'll be in the water next year)

-HOPOIL