What does it take to plane a '62 Sealancer?

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

mengelmar

What does it take to plane a '62 Sealancer?

Post by mengelmar »

I've finally got my 40hp '62 Johnson up and running and took my Sealancer on its shakedown cruise. The boat handled great and overall I was very pleased. The boat did not quite plane but was very close. I'm wondering if the throttle possible wasn't all the way open and I just need to adjust the linkages or if it is unreasonable to expect the boat to plane with a 40hp engine. Any ideas?
john

Post by john »

Is your Sea Lancer a 16'?. If so a 40 should push it a good 25 mph. My 1960 Cruisers 16' runs 25 very easily and 28 is tops. I use a 12" pitch prop for alaround use. Wirh my 75 hp Evinrude, it easily runs 32 with a 12" pitch, top has been over 40 mph. All speeds recorded on GPS.
a j r

Post by a j r »

What year Sea Lancer? I would think a 40 HP would be pretty whimpy for that model. I had a 110 HP Merc on my '57 Sea Lancer and now have twin 35 HP Johnson's on her transom.

Andreas
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

It's a 1962. I measured it awhile back when I started the renovation work to make sure I could fit it comfortably in my garage and I think it was in the mid 17' range loa. I wouldn't say that the 40 was "wimpy" but I'm new to power boating from sail boats so I don't really know what to expect.
a j r

Post by a j r »

If she's a 1962 Sea Lancer made at Peshtigo, her centerline length should be 17'-2", the hull weighs 850 pounds, and she is rated for up to 100 HP. With a few people in the boat the 40 HP would probably not get you up on plane. It just depends and you may not want to go fast.

Andreas
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

Thanks,

That info jives well with how she performed. I'm pretty content with the current top speed given the size of most of the lake I'll be visiting. I'll probably keep my eyes out for a larger outboard from the mid 1960's just to have some options.