Engine down or engine up

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

Engine down or engine up

Post by John Hart »

When you guys launch/pull your boat, do you leave the engine down, or tilt it up?.

I have launched my boat maybe 7 or 8 times, and usually have the engine tilted up. It is a pain, since I don't have power tilt... It is heavy and at an awkward angle to lower after launching, and raise before pulling it out.

The last time I pulled it out though, my son was convinved that we wouldn't bottom out the skeg on the ramp. Since this boat is the first I have had where I submerge the tires to let it mostly float off the trailer, it looked like I had the clearance to leave the motor down (75 Johnson, 16'Seacoaster).. It worked perfectly , with plenty of clearance.

What is your experience... ? Do most ramps accomodate the motor being down? It sure would be a lot easier and eliminate risk of hard returns to the running position.
john

Post by john »

My Cruisers 202 16 with either 75 or 40, comes on or off trailer easily with engine down.

But thats my trailer on my ramp. I would check clearances very carefully.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

John, every trailer is different but most of the boats I have had have plenty of clearance with motor down to back into water. I always trailer my boats with engines down and unlocked. A tilted engine puts too much strain on wooden transoms as far as I am concerned.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
john

Post by john »

Txcaptdan are you going to the rally?

Trailer is best tilted, for protection from the road way.

Back in my mechanic days saw several too many skegs broken or rubbed off from lower unit draging pavement.

I do use a brace between the trailer and lower unit. This way the motor is not able to bounce around. Will be towing with engine up on way to rally
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Thanks fellas... Last year I got a transom saver, and feel a lot more comfortable with the extra support. The motor is slightly tilted due to the length of the brace against the trailer, but it has an internal spring that flexes as the lower unit moves.

My main reason for trying to leave the motor down while putting in and taking out, is because my son commented that he thought the transon was flexing, as the fullly tilted 250 motor jostled, as I bounced the trailer out of a pothole ridden ramp one time... I hope he was imagining it with the sun's reflection off the varnish... it gives me the creeps to think about it, after spending all that time renovating the boat and motor.

Sometimes in the past I was worried that I would be so particular in launching that I would hold others up. After that bumpy launch I have been taking the time to inspect the ramp setup before I risk a disappointing experience... seems so obvious, but being pre-occupied with scrapes, clamps, tiedowns, and everything else, sometimes the obvious is overlooked.

Thanks again.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

John,
No I can't make Thompson show, would love to but just can't arrange this year. Will make Grand Lake show in Oklahoma in Sept and Austin Show in Oct. My Seacamper is nearing completeion with lake trials in the next week or so.
I still prefer trailering with engine in the down position, I leave engine unlocked and am carefull were I haul it. This boat sits atop a dual axle trailer so there is no problem with clearance.
Have a good time and send me some pics.
Dan Stober
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

OK guys here is my $0.02 on the subject. For reference it's a 57' Sea Lancer w/ a 1961 75 hp Evenrude ( 265 lbs). I trailer with the motor tilted up on the first ( lowest) tilt position. At that point the motor is pretty much balanced on the transom. Matter of fact I keep a bungie from the lower unit down to the tralier just to be sure that the lower unit can't bounce up off the tilt lock. It seems to me that trailering with the motor down increased the outward bending load on the transom due to the overhanging powerhead weight. I bought a transom saver but haven't used it yet becuse I don't see that it would do much good since the motor is balanced in the tilt position and there would be very little weight on the saver. Welcome your thoughts/ comments
Joe B... see y'al at the Rally
joelsm65

Post by joelsm65 »

i have a 67' 60hp evinrude im guessing 300lbs. i dont have power trim and tilt so i had to modify my transom saver. the hole idea is that the power trim locks that saver in place, not having that i had to make sure the motor was going to stay with it and where it connects to the trailer, sounds really goofy but i drilled a 1/4 hole thru my last roller on the trailer and i put a bolt and wing nut thru the transom saver thru the roller. so if the motor bounces up there is no way that saver is coming out. sure it takes me alittle bit longer to get ready at the launch than it might others but i know that motor is not going to rip off the transom on the highway.
oh yea, just putting the motor up in lock possition is good for weight balance over the transom but what about a really good bump or pot holes, and knocks that loose, wow talk about alot of stress on the transom, no offense but i hope im never driving behind anyone that has a wood boat that doesnt have power trim and tilt and just locks it in the lock possition. these transom savers alot more load of the transom than just locking it upright. thats my two cents. see at the show, you guys can sit and watch me take my whole motor lock system off, im sure it looks rediculous!!!