Power tilt

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

MikeR

Power tilt

Post by MikeR »

I’ve found a couple of power tilts for my 69’ 85hp Johnson.
One is original and looks it (couple hundred dollars.)
The other is put together from new parts to fit this motor (eleven hundred dollars.)

My questions; anyone have any experience with these?
I’ve read about too much stress on the transom (I have a 63’ Sea Coaster.)
Is there something else I may want to consider?
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

Mike,

We have an original tilt/trim on our 1969 Mercury 1250 (125hp) which is the second motor for our 1963 18' Super Lancer. The transom seems to handle the motor and tilt/trim just fine. In fact, this boat performs considerably better at speeds above 25 mph under the proper trim of the motor. If you are talking about the kind that extend past the transom and push the motor a few inches behind the transom, on those I have no experience.

Since the first of this year we've had our Super Lancer on rivers and lakes in Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas and our home state of Missouri without a problem with the transom. That's a great deal of smooth and very rough water, a few thousand miles of trailering (with a transom saver brace used) and more fun than one should be allowd to have.

Happy boating,

John Thompson
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

I don't think these units "trim", they just tilt for shallow running. Although I've seen newer units tilt enough to improve speed/handling, I'm not sure if these older ones can be used at high speeds.
I don't think I want a unit that sets the motor back (newer units), because of the increased transom strain.
If the transom can take the strain, then I wonder if there is some type of extension for the steering (I've got cable/pulley).
I've had this boat only one season, but have travelled the Indian River waterway and Lake Superior.
It certainly is a pleasure above and beyond glass or aluminum rides.