Few more pix

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

2qwk4u442

Few more pix

Post by 2qwk4u442 »

Powerheads are Done YAHOO!!!!
Time to hermetically seal them till paint :)

I added one pic of the Hull too....

Without the longshaft extension, didnt feel like digging it out.
Yes... those are NOS lower units (hee hee hee)

txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Great work,nice attention to detail. What is engine make/model? Hull year, length?
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
john

Post by john »

I'm guessing blocks were bead basted? Are screws new?

Gear case housing are NOS?

Nice work.

Looks like engine are somewere between 1958 35 to 1960 40 hp? Johnson or Evinrude.

Are they the orginal engines with the boat?
2qwk4u442

Post by 2qwk4u442 »

The boat is a Thompson of Cortland, approx. 17 to 18 foot, dont know the model name. I believe it is a 1960, but was told from the widow of previous owner it was a 1959. I have found no Hull tag, or numbers into the transom, etc. like one would expect. AJ helped me around 10 years ago identify it as a Cortland boat from the insignia on the steering wheel hub.

The outboards are the original that it was sold with. They are 1959 Evinrude "Golden Jubilee" 35HP Lark's. Longshaft version. Sequentially Serial numbered.

The blocks began with beadblasting, bored +.020, honed to size (I'm a machinist) and piston matched.
I detailed everything I could, to include the mundane deburring of all (internal and external) casting "flash", then blending of the castings to fit nicer.
That Inner exhaust housing is detailed the same, now I have to do its mate.
The gear case housings are "New Old Stock" having been on a shelf since made new, a date shows that was 1967.
Many, Many, once again Many, New Old Stock parts have gone into these so far...and I have much more to reassemble the rest of them with.

Bear in mind it has taken about 8 years to amass all of these NOS parts from around the country. Pistons, Rods, Wrist Pins, bearings, crankshafts, flywheels, heads, reeds, reed plates, all the lower unit internals, longshaft drivshafts, waterpump stuff,etc. etc. etc., all the gaskets, all the little rubber do-dads, even many of the screws are all New Old Stock.

I even have all NOS "Golden Jubilee" emblems for the hoods, except the side "billboard" Evinrude ones. (still looking)

The boat had a 'Morse' brand remote control for twins, but I will use a NOS Evinrude Simplex from 1958 vintage, made for twins. (That was a Bit** to locate) Cool as hell, two throttle and two shift levers.

I could go on, but talk is cheap right!?
I just need to get the darn thing done!!

The bolts; although I bought many NOS screws and bolts, when I couldnt get all of them that I needed I went looking elsewhere. I did use the NOS headbolts. The other screws are all zinc plated, new from a national supplier.

Thanks for the compliments, it makes it worthwhile after having almost given up many times over the years. Then looking at a stack of NOS parts!

Rob
2qwk4u442

Post by 2qwk4u442 »

Now Im getting ready to remove the pressed in parts from the internals of the upper section lower unit case. I'll Bead blast, deburr, blend, smooth, remove any casting flash and those gross flash lines.
Then clean the snot out of the cases and prep for reassembly.

I might re-apply the zinc-rich primer like the factory, or use my alternative Mar-Hyde Acid-etch primer. The zinc stuff I would have to get through work.
<b>"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, create it.”</b>
<i>-Sir Henry Royce</i>
2qwk4u442

Post by 2qwk4u442 »

sheeesh!!! Its been another whole year! I'm pathetic ~ by the time this project is done I wont be alowed to run a two-cycle!

I guess I didnt do much after Feb of 08, and am just now starting again for this year - such is how its been for 8-10 years, I work on the motors thru the winter, on and off. I dont have any new pix right now, but Ive blended, blasted, cleaned and preped the outer lower casings, and the very lower parts of the lower units (the NOS zinc green parts from above).

I also want to let everyone know that I have some Airguide Gages to "unload" ~ I'd like to see them go to a fellow Thompson nut, check my other posts....

OH! Merry Christmas and happy new year to all.... Ive been away for too long!
Last edited by 2qwk4u442 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
<b>"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, create it.”</b>
<i>-Sir Henry Royce</i>
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Well, you certainly know how to do it RIGHT! ............Except for one thing..............get that stuff off the dinning room table or your wife will kill you! :lol: